Chick starter vs starter grower

X2 with @Ruralhideaway

Read the labels closely. Chicks need a good amount of protein to get established. But after 6 weeks or so too much protein can cause laying breeds to start laying before their bodies and reproductive systems are truly ready to lay.

Grower feed (after week 6 or so) is supposed to step back the protein a bit to delay egg laying until the pullet's system is actually ready to produce and lay eggs. Once they start laying you should transition away from grower to layer feed as quickly as possible. Most say layers should have protein of at lest 16%, preferably more, as high as 20 or even 22% WHILE ACTIVELY LAYING.

This assumes a uniform (not mixed) flock, too. If you have older birds, roosters, meat birds, then things get more complicated. You have to manage protein levels and calcium intake (layers need calcium in much larger amounts than non-layers).

If that sounds a little complicated or just plain old too-much-information, don't worry. If you have chicks you have time to research and keep asking questions :)

I just fed the whole mixed flock - various ages of chicks, roosters, layers and freeloaders - either Grower or All Flock. It’s a 50 mile drive on way to the feed store, so I got whichever of the two they had. I start integrating my chicks with the flock at 3 weeks old and have total integration by the 4th week. Can’t keep ‘em out of each other’s food containers anyway, so I just quit worrying about it. Had oyster shell on the side for the layers, and every chick and chicken thrived.

x2! It's easier, and works fine here, to feed everyone Flock Raiser, a 20% protein all-flock feed. I can get it fresh (within four weeks of milling) at my local feed stores, so it's a good choice for my flock.
Always check the mill date, found on each bag of feed! Pick something that's fresh where you shop, because it does matter.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom