Chicken garden

Made the three spoiled chickens a garden enclosure. Corn and tomatoes inside protected by some fencing. Also canna lillies- chickens eat new growth but it can out grow them. Some cinder blocks and branch for perches. Black beans growing on the outside for shade- they spend all their time in there now.
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2408.jpeg
IMG_2407.jpeg

Some smaller easy plants my chickens love to eat are:

Brazilian spinach, chickweed, warrigal greens, desmanthus, jobs tears, lucerne, plantain, bok choy, millet, sunflowers, barrel medic, forage chicory, cocksfoot, linseed, buckwheat

Taller cover type plants Include... giant sunflower, qld arrowroot, tumeric,

I have cherry tomatoes growing wild, and the chickens love them. The bantams wait for me to pick them, but the Araucana girls will pick them off the vine. I grew a pack of Chicken Foraging Mix containing: Bok Choy, Buckwheat, Forage Chickory, Clover, Cocksfoot, Endive, Kale, Millet, Forage Plantain, Purslane, Silverbeet, Subclover and Sunflower. Many of these have self-seeded now.

I grow 3 types of parsley and they don't seem as keen on it as I am unless it's dried and added to their grain. I also allow seasonal thistles and puha to grow readily in garden beds.

Back
Top Bottom