Chicks dying at time of hatching.

dayers1109

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 4, 2013
I have a broody hen that did a really nice job hatching out and raising a few chicks early last fall. This spring she was sitting on a few eggs then left and started sitting on eggs on another nest. The eggs she abandoned had partially developed dead chicks when we opened them. Today she of the second nest and it looks like several clicks started to hatch and died. This was in the coop and it has been pretty hot and humid here. It looks like one partially developed egg broke several days ago and was rotten. Also, lots of flies around. Was that maybe why the others died? It looks like 4 were fully developed and stated to hatch but died before they were completely out. These are eggs from different hens and were laid about a week apart. They are 4 that are still unhatched. I'm going to clean out the dead ones and freshen up the nest and watch the others for a few days. We were worried it would be too hot, when she started nesting but decided to leave her to it and see what would happen. I'm guessing the heat and humidity were the problem. Any one have luck naturally hatching this time of year? We would appreciate comments and ideas. Hopefully she'll give it another shot this fall.

I'm about to use my broody hen for the first time to hatch shipped silkie eggs I'm only getting 6 eggs so I'm not expecting them all to live. I'm just thankful the weather is perfect out right now and my climate here is good. Any advice? Lol my only advice is to make sure there is good ventilation and move her and the eggs next time to an enclosed SD pace with food and water. (Plastic tub)

I've had 2 chicks die during hatching within the last few weeks. One pipped outside of the air cell and wasn't able to zip. The other hit a blood vessel while pipping and hemorrhaged. I had a third that hatched perfectly fine. I live in louisiana where it is has been very hot as well. I have an A frame coop that I put my broodies in. Around hatching time, I spray the ground under the nesting boxes with the water hose several times a day to bring up the humidity level. You can also place a wet sponge in with them to help. Lots of things can go wrong during hatching that are beyond our control.

Last edited:
I've had 2 chicks die during hatching within the last few weeks. One pipped outside of the air cell and wasn't able to zip. The other hit a blood vessel while pipping and hemorrhaged.
Do you have to put a wet sponge I thought the hens controlled humidity too lol.. I'll do that though
No you don't have to put in a wet sponge. Typically the hens will provide enough humidity. However, it's been close to 100 degrees here everyday so it's better to be safe then sorry. Too little humidity and too high temps can be bad for them. The easier for them to zip the better. Too little humidity can cause them to become shrinkwrapped so I like to make it as easy as possible for them to get out as quick as possible.

No you don't have to put in a wet sponge. Typically the hens will provide enough humidity. However, it's been close to 100 degrees here everyday so it's better to be safe then sorry. Too little humidity and too high temps can be bad for them. The easier for them to zip the better. Too little humidity can cause them to become shrinkwrapped so I like to make it as easy as possible for them to get out as quick as possible.
I live in New York so I probably don't gave to do that its typically around 75-85. The hottest its been is 96, lows are 45-75 at night do you think the big change in temperatures could affect the egg process? I hope not.

I live in New York so I probably don't gave to do that its typically around 75-85. The hottest its been is 96, lows are 45-75 at night do you think the big change in temperatures could affect the egg process? I hope not.
Mama should be able to provide enough heat given she stays on it. I had a pipped egg a couple of months ago when the temps got down into the 50's at night. It was chirping and starting to zip when I checked on it for the last time that night. I went in the next morning and couldn't find the egg under her. Somehow she had managed to push it to the back corner of the nesting box. The chick had died I'm assuming from the low temps as when I opened it I couldn't find any other problems with it. You could always set up a heat lamp for the night.

:th
Mama should be able to provide enough heat given she stays on it. I had a pipped egg a couple of months ago when the temps got down into the 50's at night. It was chirping and starting to zip when I checked on it for the last time that night. I went in the next morning and couldn't find the egg under her. Somehow she had managed to push it to the back corner of the nesting box. The chick had died I'm assuming from the low temps as when I opened it I couldn't find any other problems with it. You could always set up a heat lamp for the night.
I actually do have a heat lamp from this past winter that's a good idea. I'm going to section her off with some plywood or cardboard so the other hens don't bother her. They like stealing her nest when she's not there. I'll show you where she is right now. My coop is I think 6 feet W, 9-10 feet L and 5 feet H. As you can see I'm not a very handy woman lol

IMG_20180621_164819.jpg
IMG_20180621_164819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom