Mahapoultry

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Okay so I crossed an ayam cemani roo with rir hens...the chicks just hatched today, I was wondering if ANYONE else has do e this, I can't find any pictures anywhere of someone else doing it. I was hoping to get the beautiful feathering of the cemani, and the production of the rir. So far we got 4 all black and 1 white feather with black skin, and 1 white with yellow skin... Once they are dry I'll post pictures...but please if anyone else has ever crossed a cemani with rir or anything please share.

I've ended up with several crosses over the years. Here are some pictures:

Did you ever figure out the production and the feather color? I would love to do something similar!

Okay so I crossed an ayam cemani roo with rir hens...the chicks just hatched today, I was wondering if ANYONE else has do e this, I can't find any pictures anywhere of someone else doing it. I was hoping to get the beautiful feathering of the cemani, and the production of the rir. So far we got 4 all black and 1 white feather with black skin, and 1 white with yellow skin... Once they are dry I'll post pictures...but please if anyone else has ever crossed a cemani with rir or anything please share.

I cross mine with meat birds currently. Using an Ayam Cemani male the female offspring keep the all black traits (with leakage in the feathers) and the males don't. I plan to cross the Male Ayam Cemani with his half meat bird daughters and using a male from that to keep crossing with my meat hens. Eventually I want to make a decent meat bird with black meat. I will be crossing other breeds with my extra roosters. Likely my Japanese Grey Bantam hen (who is caring for a brood currently) will be the next. I may even start crossing with Columbia or Delaware patterns Just because I believe that would make a great pattern with the Fibro trait.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crossing-my-red-ranger-hens.1281099/

The link is to my Red Ranger crossings which includes Ayam Cemani. Pictures of my Japanese Grey Bantam hen is in there as well as she is brooding a couple of meat birds who tower over her now.

I cross mine with meat birds currently. Using an Ayam Cemani male the female offspring keep the all black traits (with leakage in the feathers) and the males don't. I plan to cross the Male Ayam Cemani with his half meat bird daughters and using a male from that to keep crossing with my meat hens. Eventually I want to make a decent meat bird with black meat. I will be crossing other breeds with my extra roosters. Likely my Japanese Grey Bantam hen (who is caring for a brood currently) will be the next. I may even start crossing with Columbia or Delaware patterns Just because I believe that would make a great pattern with the Fibro trait.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crossing-my-red-ranger-hens.1281099/

The link is to my Red Ranger crossings which includes Ayam Cemani. Pictures of my Japanese Grey Bantam hen is in there as well as she is brooding a couple of meat birds who tower over her now.
Damn! That was my project plan to start next year... I was planning on creating black-meated meat birds to sell the meat locally for some serious cash. Great minds think alike, I suppose.

Damn! That was my project plan to start next year... I was planning on creating black-meated meat birds to sell the meat locally for some serious cash. Great minds think alike, I suppose.
If you live near me I don't want to take your market away from you! You probably do not but if you do I would be more than happy to provide you with what I produced for you to improve on it. To me this is just a learning thing. If you do such a project start a thread on it in the meat bird section. I would love to see your results.

If you live near me I don't want to take your market away from you! You probably do not but if you do I would be more than happy to provide you with what I produced for you to improve on it. To me this is just a learning thing. If you do such a project start a thread on it in the meat bird section. I would love to see your results.
No worries! I'm in Northern MA. Do your thing, I haven't even started mine out yet and I'm still in the midst of researching/observing how to breed true black birds from AC hybrids. If you are close, I would love to share observations and trade/sell birds. I don't want to stop anyone from perfecting it before me, it's just a project I'm hoping to bring into the world.

I'm starting off by putting my AC roo in a harem of several different breeds of hen just to see what I can make and how the fibro allele interacts with other color/pattern genes. After that, I'll start breeding heritage dual-purpose meat birds in the mix. Dual-purpose because I think that plain meat birds are quite disgusting. They make a disgusting mess every time I try, they got themselves so dirty that I didn't even want to eat them last summer.

My Red Rangers act more like Dual Purpose than Cornish X. They are much larger than the dual purpose though. The Freedom Ranger type of birds (like the Red Rangers I have) seem to be part of the flock type of birds with more meat on them. But the black meat market will likely love the Dual Purpose size birds so your project should work out great.

Back
Top Bottom