Duck Dilemma, to Cayuga or not to Cayuga?

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
I’m currently incubating some WH, we’re about a week away from hatch and I am down to 2 eggs. I got worried about the possibility of only 1 hatching so I ordered 2 WH from metzer to come a couple days before hatch.

When ordering I tried to add a Cayuga to the order but they weren’t available for the date I needed. But now there’s some available on my date and changes need to be made by noon tomorrow. Should I add one? Tell me about your Cayugas...... and don’t forget pics!

Definitely! Cayugas are the best! Most males will stay the beautiful black/green shimmer colors and sometimes ( usually most of the time ) the females get white feather on them which makes them even more precious! I'll add pictures when I can get some of them today! Mine are 3 years of age - 3 girls and 1 male. They all stick together and love being in their own group, venturing off nesting somewhere 😂 :thumbsup :wee

Definitely! Cayugas are the best! Most males will stay the beautiful black/green shimmer colors and sometimes ( usually most of the time ) the females get white feather on them which makes them even more precious! I'll add pictures when I can get some of them today! Mine are 3 years of age - 3 girls and 1 male. They all stick together and love being in their own group, venturing off nesting somewhere 😂 :thumbsup :wee
I agree they’re beautiful! Especially the drakes but I would be getting a female. And I’ve seen them age with the white feathers and they remind me of an Oreo, it’s cute, I like it lol.

What color eggs do yours lay? I’ve heard the black isn’t that common and only last for a little while and then will lighten up.

Do Cayugas seem to be skittish at all? I know a lot of it is in how you raise them but I also think some of it is just breed personality.

Yes please send some pics my way when you have a chance!

I loved my cayuga. She was delightful. She did start getting a few white feathers at about 1 or 1.5 years old. She gave us a sharpie black egg as the first egg of the season, which slowly over a month faded to grey as she, "ran out of ink." The rest of the spring/summer/early fall we would get grey eggs, she took the winter off, and then in the spring back to sharpie black!! My cayuga was incredibly loud, definitely the loudest shout quacker I've had. She was also very entitled and anytime she saw me or heard me she loudly demanded that I come take her for walks or feed her mealworms/tomatoes. Clearly she was quite friendly, but she didn't like being touched she just wanted me near her at all times providing her with clean water, foraging walks, and delicious things. She was a good girl, and came when called. She was the leader of the flock and it was her job to look out for predators. She took her responsibilities seriously, but never abused or was rude to the other ducks despite her status.

She passed away about 5 years ago from reproductive cancer at the age of 2.5. don't feel too sorry for her, though. She had a wonderful life. 💖🦆

Here's a pretty good video of her following me, and at the end you can see her playing in the water. She's about... Maybe 5 months old here.

I loved my cayuga. She was delightful. She did start getting a few white feathers at about 1 or 1.5 years old. She gave us a sharpie black egg as the first egg of the season, which slowly over a month faded to grey as she, "ran out of ink." The rest of the spring/summer/early fall we would get grey eggs, she took the winter off, and then in the spring back to sharpie black!! My cayuga was incredibly loud, definitely the loudest shout quacker I've had. She was also very entitled and anytime she saw me or heard me she loudly demanded that I come take her for walks or feed her mealworms/tomatoes. Clearly she was quite friendly, but she didn't like being touched she just wanted me near her at all times providing her with clean water, foraging walks, and delicious things. She was a good girl, and came when called. She was the leader of the flock and it was her job to look out for predators. She took her responsibilities seriously, but never abused or was rude to the other ducks despite her status.

She passed away about 5 years ago from reproductive cancer at the age of 2.5. don't feel too sorry for her, though. She had a wonderful life. 💖🦆

Here's a pretty good video of her following me, and at the end you can see her playing in the water. She's about... Maybe 5 months old here.
Thank you for sharing all that with me. I’m sorry she passed away, but I’m sure she did have a really great life! I loved the videos, thanks for sharing those! Them following you made me smile, they’re all gorgeous! I just can’t get over how pretty Cayugas are. And those babies swimming, oh my gosh so cute!

I agree they’re beautiful! Especially the drakes but I would be getting a female. And I’ve seen them age with the white feathers and they remind me of an Oreo, it’s cute, I like it lol.

What color eggs do yours lay? I’ve heard the black isn’t that common and only last for a little while and then will lighten up.

Do Cayugas seem to be skittish at all? I know a lot of it is in how you raise them but I also think some of it is just breed personality.

Yes please send some pics my way when you have a chance!
The eggs can be a darker, dusty gray or white. If you wash them, it'll come of and be a white with a hint of gray at the top. My Cayuga's are pretty sweet ( mainly because I sometimes hand feed and don't scare them. I'm also with them more ) They're sitting in a little bed area in the pictures :wee

Attachments

• 20210901_180131.jpg
    20210901_180131.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220321_170347.jpg
    20220321_170347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220321_170333.jpg
    20220321_170333.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220321_170358.jpg
    20220321_170358.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220321_170328.jpg
    20220321_170328.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
The eggs can be a darker, dusty gray or white. If you wash them, it'll come of and be a white with a hint of gray at the top. My Cayuga's are pretty sweet ( mainly because I sometimes hand feed and don't scare them. I'm also with them more ) They're sitting in a little bed area in the pictures :wee
So even the super dark almost black eggs will wash off? Interesting, I didn’t know that part. They are all beautiful! And I love the white!

What kind of duck is in the first pic that’s black and white with a light bill and feet?

Here is a photo of my oldest duck Chiharu, he is about 9 years old he is also the dad to Haru and Maria.
20220506_181653_HDR.jpg

20220510_190537.jpg

20220320_085702.jpg
20220309_142636_HDR.jpg

From what I have read Chiharu means a thousand springs or something like that in Japanese.
And Haru just means spring or something.

This is Totoro, she is about 8 give or take she is the mother to Haru and Maria, she hatched them all herself.
20220506_181119_HDR.jpg

20220314_105353.jpg
20220309_142410.jpg

This is Haru, he is 4 years old he is Totoro and Chiharu's son.
20220309_142420.jpg
20220309_095535_HDR.jpg
20220220_124115_HDR.jpg
20220309_093644.jpg

This is Maria she was about 3 years old when she passed away. She was Haru's sister.
Sadly I don't have very many photos of her.
She is in the middle.
20210624_185344~2.jpg

I definitely think cayugas are one of the best ducks to have, Totoro is pretty loud when she wants to be, the drakes are pretty quiet of course they are though drakes can't quack. Although I feel their squacks hurt my ears sometimes if they both make noise at the same time.
Totoro tried hatching eggs quit a few other times before she hatched Haru and Maria but never could hatch any.
When she hatched Haru and Maria, our set up was way different then it is now.
Totoro did a great job taking care of Haru and Maria, I didn't have the heart to separate them from her so they were outside there whole lives Totoro, gave them her shy duckness. Especially Maria she was a lot like her mom.

I hope you enjoy whatever ducks you get and that everything goes well for you!

Attachments

• 20220506_181121_HDR.jpg
    20220506_181121_HDR.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220316_131441.jpg
    20220316_131441.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220506_181154.jpg
    20220506_181154.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 7
I hope you enjoy whatever ducks you get and that everything goes well for you!
Thank you so much!

I really appreciate all the great info and all of the pics! They’re all beautiful, and I love the unique names you’ve given them.

I really want to add some Cayugas to our flock, I haven’t heard one negative thing about them yet!

Back
Top Bottom