Duck is now scared of me

GabbyK

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
So I have a flock of about 4 ducks who were adults when I bought them, so don't trust me very much. I incubated one of the eggs and hand raised the ducking (born on my birthday!) , When she was about a month old I let her stay outside with the other ducks, and now shes as scared of me as they are :( Ive seen a lot of pictures of people with their adult ducks, does anyone know why this ducking now hates me? thanks :) xx

I really don't know but my guess is she's just copying the other ducks. Since they're flock animals they just sort of go with the flow and follow eachother around. Just handle them all and never leave a duck out. What I mean by that is don't just hold her, hold them all and give them treats when you do so they know you're friendly. I have rouens that I got as very untame adults, I hold them all everyday and give them lots of treats and now they love everyone! She probably doesn't hate you, she's just copying the other ducks. Just handle them all and they'll love you. :) Good luck with your ducks!!!!! -Hannah
P.S. :welcome

GabbyK, ducks around that age often change from affectionate to frightened seemingly overnight. It happened with my runners.

Apparently their instincts kick in and anything taller than they are is very scary.

With help and encouragement from senior Duck Forum Members (by senior I mean people with more experience - most are probably younger than I am) I started changing my behavior a bit, and patiently offered treats, was careful not to approach them in a way that made them feel cornered, spent more time near them, and let them go through that phase. It took weeks and I was very sad at first.

But over time, treats, presence, singing, being careful how I approached them, they came around and now are friendly, some like pets, none like to be picked up.

GabbyK, Amiga offers sage advice. Best of luck with your flock.
And
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom