Duckling can’t walk

MJ in SD

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2020
Hi.... we recently got some ducklings shipped... one of them is smaller than the rest and can’t walk or stand. She seems otherwise healthy, eating and drinking. I’ve done some research and added brewers yeast to the baby chick feed. When i put her in water for “water therapy” she can move her legs and swim. I was told to make splints for her legs, but not sure how to do this or if it would help at this point since she can’t even stand yet. Her little webbed feet won’t spread out and are kind of curled.

Please let me know if you have any other thought or ideas... it really makes me sad and I just hope that maybe she was just premature or something. Also, we have only had them for a couple days... How many days/weeks can this take if it’s fixable?.
I posted some pics of her little feet.

Attachments

• 9FD34FE4-3356-430B-BE3F-19D969B31669.jpeg
    9FD34FE4-3356-430B-BE3F-19D969B31669.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 7B1D6D13-BF40-402B-A199-331D3F90E1CE.jpeg
    7B1D6D13-BF40-402B-A199-331D3F90E1CE.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 21
With currled toes you can open the feet up then splint them open. Your window to do this is very limited. If past that window i would cull it. Some people would take objection to this. If you want to spend the money and time on a special needs duck that is an option too. Just be aware your probably going to need a wheel chair, and lots of supervision. $2000 worth of vet and associated bills would not surprise me.

Ok.... I really appreciate the honesty there. Would you know if there is a video how todo this? It seems like a dainty but difficult task. What kind of tape would I use that wouldn’t be too sticky?

Have you tried adding any additional vitamins or supplements yet? Other than the Brewer’s yeast? Sometimes adding some Vitamin B Complex that you can get from TSC or most other farm stores can give them the right boost they need to get stronger and be able to come back from that. Once the eating and drinking stops is when it becomes more worrisome.
D4FD4941-A076-40FE-8D7D-7CC91E80904C.jpeg

this stuff is amazing and although it is injectable you can give it to ducklings orally. I usually dribble a little on treats for them. Shipping can be really hard on those little things (I lost four out of nine this year after a shipment) so little additions of nutrients to their diet can help with that.

I also get this and just mix it in with a gallon of water and give this for the first couple weeks after shipping or an injury/illness.
D421E68B-D36D-4D46-A936-B60C5DCCC266.jpeg

Use masking tape. Big piece on the bottom. Put the little foot flat on it. Make sure everything is in the correct spot. Toes nice and straight. A little more difficult with ducklings as the webbing is in the way. That's why you need something sticky. Once the bottom is good add another big piece over top. Make sure all the edges are sealed. I have used duct tape in the past. You just have to be very, very gentle and I don't recommend it unless as a last resort. Good luck!

I use vetrap on chicken feet, but it’s much harder on ducklings with their webbing for sure. Masking tape or even white medical tape could work; often just soaking it for a bit will make it easier when it comes time to take it off, so don’t be too concerned about stickiness. :) You can also do some stretching exercises with a tiny duckling like that; the first one I ever hatched had a terribly twisted foot, and I spent about 5-10 minutes a few times a day flexing the foot the right way, and placing it on the ground in the correct position. You’d never know it to look at him now.

I have another duckling at the moment that is a week old, 1/3 the size of the others, and got run over by the bigger ducklings at around 3 days of age. It’s in its own brooder right now, and it had an injury to its left leg so that it refused to use it, and held it out to the side and up away from the body. (I did xray it and he had no broken bones or dislocations.) He would scoot forward with his good leg, and drag that one along. Perfect example of splay leg. He’s hobbled now, which I had to wait to do because he was SO painful, but this morning he’s up and walking on both legs. He hates the hobbles but he can walk, so too bad for him. Haha.

The B vitamins for sure, especially niacin and B12, are really helpful for recovering leg injuries which I recently learned from a friend, and ducks and turkeys seem to be more sensitive to needing it for healthy growth and immunity.

Back
Top Bottom