EE, OE, Araucanas any notes for a newbie

Radrussie

Chirping
Jul 26, 2022
So... these are chicks I hatched end of Feb. I had 8, I have 6 left. Any guess on what I have here.

Out of the hatch I had
OE
EE
Araucana
1X salmon faverolle cross

Any guesses on what I have? OE EE or Araucana. Male female. Also tips would be appreciated to get rainbow eggs.

Big flock is
8x EE (green layers)
1x white layer
2x pink layers (faverolle)
with a black copper maran rooster.

Ayam cemani 5xhens 5xrooster.

Attachments

• 20240518_162903.jpg
    20240518_162903.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It's difficult to tell olive eggers and Easter eggers apart. They're both hybrids, the only difference being the OEs should have the dark egg gene plus the blue egg gene, whereas Easter eggers can lay any color, really, but often blue or green.

In the picture, the blue one in from is a cockerel and probably an olive egger. The black one behind can't be sexed by that photo, but it appears to be rumpless and lack a tail. It that is true, then it's the Araucana.

Ayam Cemanis lay light brown eggs, I believe, but they are not good layers.

A black copper Marans rooster over Easter egger hens will give some olive eggers and some brown egg layers, most likely.

Adding some more pure blue egg layers like Whiting True Blue or cream Legbars might be a good idea to cross with the Marans if you want a surer bet of getting olive eggers.

Also, remember Marans can having varying genes. Some produce darker eggs than others.

Back
Top Bottom