Egg Sloshing And Full Of Liquid

echix

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
TEXAS
We're on about day 27 or so and Nanna got offer nest the other day - some cooled when I got other rotten busted egg out and it was TRAUMA!!

Now we're down to 13 eggs and this morning she got off - I went to check eggs and found 4 that were sloshy sounding (like liquid) and took them in and candled and they looked like they were full of water moving all around and sloshy. So..... out they went. They had liquified at day 27???

Is that normal?

Now she only has 9 left....
sad.png
I don't know if this is her first hatch/set or not. The guys are helping her and everything seems normal with the eggs left. They are not sloshy - don't smell rotty and I guess are working right?

Out of the 9 I would be happy to just get 1 gosling for her.
sad.png
So depressed today!!

Is this normal for eggs to go sloshy this late and are the others fine?

It sounds like the goslings in the sloshy eggs died. It gets pretty nasty and liquidy in there when they die later in incubation.
I don't know a whole lot of people who get 100% hatch rates with geese, I'd say what happened to you is pretty normal.

Hi

Once the embryo dies then it rapidly decomposes and breaks down as do the vessels and membranes. The sloshing around is a pretty good indicator of embryonic death. However there no reason to suspect that the remaining 9 will not proceed to hatch if they appearred ok at day 27.

Pete
wink.png

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stressful.... for me, not the goose! LOL

She keeps getting off the nest for a minute or two - did it about 5 times today - the other day she got off for 5 minutes twice!

What is going on?? I think tomorrow is day 28......

I am afraid to go near her / the nest / etc!

I don't want to be the cause to screw anything up here..... the ganders are acting weird too - they both (we have 2 geese and 2 ganders) the other goose set up on her nest today on 10 eggs... she's in another area. Her gander acted like he was released from prison spending a month helping her fatten up and now he's FREE!!!

The gander to Nanna the goose at 28 days now is just wandering around like an idiot!

The other gander goes in and gets her off the nest and keeps turning the eggs/etc. He must be smarter.

Is all this normal?? Anything else I should be watching for normal behavior at day 28 and TOTALLY OUT OF MY MIND ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! :0)

Back
Top Bottom