Egg with strange, seperate shell

Eden3021

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
My hen, Aayla, had stopped laying after getting overly picked on by another hen. She had pecked out all of her feathers in her bottom (the bully has since been rehomed). About a week and a half ago, I found one of her eggs outside of the nester, and it had been crushed. I thought perhaps it somehow got knocked out of it. She had been going and sitting inside of the nester a few times since, but no eggs. Shes been eating fine, walking normal, seemed fine otherwise and I felt around and didn't feel an egg (I did not check internally), so I didn't think she was eggbound. She's very prone to broodiness, so thats what I thought was happening.

Tonight as I was closing them up, I noticed her in the nester with her back end facing me, and I watched her push out a egg, with zero shell or membrane, just whites and an intact yolk. After, she pushed out whats pictured. It feels like a soft egg, with fluid inside. She then went up to her roost to sleep. I did notice there was less food eaten today than usual (I only have four, so if one doesn't eat, it's noticeable). She seemed fine in the few minutes I saw her before I went to work, but I was not home all day and I don't know if she was eating.

Has anyone else experienced this? How would you proceed?

Attachments

• 20240503_203425.jpg
    20240503_203425.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 43
I should add i feed them purina layena (spelling?) Crumbles mixed with ~1/4 local feed mill layer feed. They have oyster shells in a dish, but the hen in question has scissor beak, and I don't think she can pick them up.

She seems lethargic this morning and doesn't want to eat. She's walking around, but slowly. Her abdomen feels swollen. I guess I'll treat her like she's egg bound and go from there.

Tonight as I was closing them up, I noticed her in the nester with her back end facing me, and I watched her push out a egg, with zero shell or membrane, just whites and an intact yolk.
Softshell egg, not a problem if it happens just once, but if it happens regularly it means she is not getting enough calcium (or she is getting it, but her body is not using the calcium properly.)

After, she pushed out whats pictured. It feels like a soft egg, with fluid inside.
It looks like it might be a lash egg. I don't personally know much about them, but I think @Eggcessive might be able to help.

Here is a quote from a different thread:
Lash egg material is basically fleshy pink egg material that has become caseous, like pus. It comes from salpingitis where the oviduct is inflamed. It can be bacterial or not. Hens can pass those in the droppings, or they can be deposited inside the abdomen if the egg goes the wrong way in the oviduct. Here is some reading:
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/lash-eggs-salpingitis/#:~:text=Lash eggs result from an,with waxy cheese-like pus.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

She seems lethargic this morning and doesn't want to eat. She's walking around, but slowly. Her abdomen feels swollen. I guess I'll treat her like she's egg bound and go from there.
That sounds like a reasonable starting point, until someone more experienced can give advice.

It looks like it might be a lash egg. I don't personally know much about them
Thanks for the reply. I looked up lash eggs. I can't find any that really match the description of what she produced, but the symptoms seem like it could be salpingitis.
I gave her an Epsom salt soak and gently massaged her abdomen, but I didn't feel an egg. I gave her a dose of amoxicillan, but I'm seeing there are other antibiotics that work better for that.
Her vent doesn't appear to be swollen at all, and I'm not seeing any discharge.
Shes a sweet girl, I feel awful for not realizing something was wrong sooner.

It is not a lash egg with is usually flesh colored and solid, but it looks like an abnormal egg. There can be different shapes, sometimes normal egg shaped with a tail. I would give human calcium citrate 300-600mg with vitamin d for the next 7 days, or until she lays a normal egg with a hard shell. Hopefully, it is a one time glitch, but it could be a sign of salpingitis. I would watch for any other odd eggs.

Back
Top Bottom