Eliminating egg eating snakes (may seem graphic to some)

My pullets haven't started laying yet, so I guess we haven't started attracting snakes yet. My grandmother always put moth balls in her yard to keep snakes away, and I never seen a snake there. She didn't have chickens either though...lol. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the moth balls though. I would think the chickens wouldn't eat them after an initial inspection (i mean they keep snakes away right?). But I have heard people say that deer will eat them and get sick. I have read somewhere of people putting down some kind of abbrasive around the perimeter so snakes won't southern through, like some sort of tac strip, even broken glass, or (i guess) sand or rock cut a certain way. These are all things I've heard and would like to hear from someone with experience. I dread catching a snake in the coop! Sorry but I am pro kill for the snakes. My chickens are more important.

We also had rat snake in coop. I made noise with a shovel and it ran out. Ortho makes a prodect called snake-be-gone. It is not harmful to pets or people. sprinkle in and around coop. snakes hate the smell but doesnt bother hens. IT IS ONLY SPICES. Hope you have good luck

First off is that I don't want to upset anyone that is against eliminating snakes. I know they have a purpose and a use and I have heard all the arguments as to why we should not kill them.
This post is not to raise another heated debate about killing snakes.
That said, my dad has come up with a way to catch snakes that invade chicken nests looking for eggs.
I just spent four days there visiting and during that time he caught five black rat snakes all over five feet long and two of those were over six feet long. Everyone was caught in a nest eating eggs.
All of the snakes he caught were killed.
If there is enough interest I will tell how he caught them by posting here.
Again it is not my interest to start a debate over the killing of snakes but if anyone wants me to share a way to stop snakes from eating eggs and chicks please let me know.
Yes! Please do tell I have snakes eating my chickens eggs!

Back
Top Bottom