EMERGENCY - 2 Coturnix Quail foot broken OFF

It doesn't look worse to me, but I'm still very wary of those exposed bones - they're effectively an open 'wound' as there's no way for the bone to seal itself off. It could be one of two things - it could be normal changes with healing, as there's often redness, swelling, and pain with a wound regardless of infection (the redness/swelling/pain is from the body sending more blood to the area for healing), or it could be the beginning signs of infection. The yellow may be healing bruising. Since she's walking and acting normally, I'd just keep a closer eye on her, but it might be a good time to look into vets in the area.

Hello everyone, very sorry for the late update.
I have been having lots of Racoon problems with my chickens lately.

My sweet Friend seems to be doing good. She is very active and eating well.

Her leg is still swollen, but she is acting normal.
I have been giving her 10 -20 min Espom Salt soaks almost everyday.
I have also been putting Vetericyn and Triple Anti Bactrial on her wound daily.

I plan to post photos of her on her tomorrow. Good night everyone.

I am very sorry everyone for the late update.
I have been having tons of stuff going on and been really busy.

Friend is acting normal, hopping around and eating well, which I am very happy to say. Her leg is still swollen though ...
I plan to post pictures of her tomorrow.

I am still doing the Epsom Salt soak for her wound almost everyday, changing her bedding at least once a day, and treating her with Vetericyn. I am having a bit trouble treating her wound with triple anti bacterial because the bandaid keeps falling off, but I will keep trying.

I hope everyone had a good day, good night.

I am very sorry everyone for the late update.
I have been having tons of stuff going on and been really busy.

Friend is acting normal, hopping around and eating well, which I am very happy to say. Her leg is still swollen though ...
I plan to post pictures of her tomorrow.

I am still doing the Epsom Salt soak for her wound almost everyday, changing her bedding at least once a day, and treating her with Vetericyn. I am having a bit trouble treating her wound with triple anti bacterial because the bandaid keeps falling off, but I will keep trying.

I hope everyone had a good day, good night.
I would stop the Epsom salt baths, that may actually be prolonging the healing process.

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update (I will try and get better with this, SUPER busy).
Friend is still seems to be doing well. Eating and moving around normally, super active sweetheart.
She is still quite swollen though ...
I stopped the Espom Salt bathes, thank you for letting me know that I should stop @007Sean .
I am still changing her paper towel litter at least once a day, and spraying her wound down with Vetericyn.
I am sometimes putting on triple anti bacterial, but some reason the bandaids won't stay on her.
Her are some photos I took of her last night (on Saterday)
I hope you all had a great weekend, I will continue to update on her condition, good night.
20240525_215207.jpg
20240525_215217.jpg
20240525_215235.jpg
20240525_215211.jpg
20240525_215639.jpg
20240525_215605.jpg

20240525_215409.jpg
20240525_215643.jpg

It would only prolong her recovery, now but the bone that's sticking out should have been cleaned/ cut-off flush with the skin or the leg bone should have been removed at the hock, it's too late now, eventually the skin will grow over the stub. I would also stop putting vetericyn on everyday, let the air get to the wound.

I had a pheasant chick hatch and got caught in the fan blades on the incubator (Nuture Rite 360)....as @Nabiki , likes to say; "they find strange ways to die". Anyway I amputated the mangled leg at the hock, it recovered very fast, without any treatment other than the amputation....no antibiotics, or sprays, or baths. There was very little bleeding after amputation which I managed to stop quickly. I did cover the wound with a small piece of vet wrap but it would fall off often and after a couple of days I stopped trying to keep it covered, it healed just fine without being wrapped.

It survived and did very well on one leg until a Reeves chick decided it didn't like the chick and killed it...leason learned....don't mix Reeves chick's with other pheasants.

Back
Top Bottom