feeding 9 week old chickens question

Alysk

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
HI! My chickens are 9 weeks old. At what point to I not offer feed around the clock, and when do I just feed in the morning, and how much per bird? They are in the coop/run full time, and also get several hours a day free range time. I have 25, a mixed flock of Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks & Silver Laced Wyandottes. Thanks!

From what Ive learned you fill your feeders and dont let them get down past 1/4 full. Unless you free range all day.

Last edited:
I don't have any food in the coop. When they go to bed, about 45 minutes before sun down, they are tired and roosting. They get up at first light. I pull the coop door open and they bolt for the food. I do have a a plastic gin bottle with a nipple waterer in the coop, but it's been in there for 3 weeks and they have only drank half the bottle, so I think they prefer the outside water too.

Put some feed in a big feeder or make one or a couple out of a bucket found on Youtube (bucket chicken feed). Feed in the morning.

Give them free choose for as long as they are growing. You can pull up feed at night, when they no longer have a light. They sleep at night. When they are full grown they will eat between 1/4 to 1/3 lbs a day per bird.

Feed them well in the morning. Check the feeder in later afternoon. Is there still feed in it? If not, add some more. Is there uneaten feed left over by morning?

This is a matter of close observation and acting and re-acting appropriately. You should expect 9 week old, large fowl birds to eat nearly 1/4 pound of feed each, if they've no access to pasture/range.

Found this on a chicken website....makes sense to me.

Q: How much feed should I give my chickens each day? A: We recommend feeding "free choice"; that is, letting them eat as much layer feed as they want and leaving their feeder out at all times (although you may take it up at night if you like). Even if your chickens have access to pasture, free ranging simply supplements their diet. Chickens will eat as much food as they need to keep themselves healthy. Some breeds may be able to barely subsist in good weather by free ranging (although this is unlikely, as chickens are domesticated animals, not wild animals), but most will naturally starve if you don't provide them enough. They will also be healthier and lay better if their bodies are bot stressed out by undernourishment and nutritional deficiencies. In the spring and summer they will probably eat significantly less feed than in the fall and winter if they have access to range, but they will still need that base feed to keep them going. In the winter especially they need calories to keep them warm, and in the fall they need protein because they will be molting and renewing their plumage. In the spring and summer they are usually laying their peak of eggs, so all those calories go to help produce the eggs and keep them in good condition while they produce. One of the worst mistakes a novice chicken keeper can make is to not provide enough food for their chickens, or too provide only scratch or corn rather than lay feed, because scratch/corn is just not a balanced diet that provides all your chickens need to maintain their health.

I have 6 1 year old hens and 6 9 week old pullets. I have the 9 week Olds in their own temporary enclosure out next to the hens enclosure so they can get used to each other before I integrate the young ones with the hens. How long should I keep them separated? I feed both hens and chicks constantly. Their feeders are always filled. They free range too during the day.

I have 6 1 year old hens and 6 9 week old pullets. I have the 9 week Olds in their own temporary enclosure out next to the hens enclosure so they can get used to each other before I integrate the young ones with the hens. How long should I keep them separated? I feed both hens and chicks constantly. Their feeders are always filled. They free range too during the day.
Since you free range you could do as I do and let them free range together when the chicks reach 10 12 weeks. They are big enough and old enough at that point to avoid the mature hens at that age. I still let them sleep separately until they are closer to mature themselves.

my question is do they need anything in addition to food and water....scratch, grit, anything???
If all they are getting is ground feed, then no they don't need anything else while growing. If they are given any other food then they do need grit to grind the food. Once mature and laying then they will need extra calcium if they aren't getting layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom