First two eggs today from pullets born mid April! But too soft.

ParistoCapeCod

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Cape Cod
My Coop
My Coop
Maybe it was the drastic drop in temperatures. Unfortunately, they were too soft. Is this normal for the first eggs? They get layer pellets, and yogurt for extra calcium. Adding oyster shell today. Since I have 2 eggs and 4 birds, and now know one is a roo, I'm wondering about the other! 1 DorkingX and 3 DominiqueX

I don't know how old your pullets are, but the average time to begin laying is 24 weeks; if they are much younger, this is absolutely normal, and you're doing the right thing by getting oyster shell. Offer it free choice, in a seperate container, for the best results. Congrats on those first eggs!!! I've had chickens for several years, and I still love colleciting eggs as much as the very first ones I ever got!

Sometimes young bird's egg-laying apparatus is not quite up to speed, and they may lay a few shell-less eggs. That should clear up as they get going. Free-choice oyster shell is an excellent idea.

Mine did the same thing, I think it's just their systems learning how to work. Layer feed has calcium and I also offer oyster shell. They much prefer me to dry and crush their own shells and give them back to them as a source of calcium. Must taste yummy!

Back
Top Bottom