Recently i did a necropsy on a chicken of mine that passed. I ended up practicing stitching her up and had a vet by my side helping my through it (she‘s a good friend of mine)

Well, google photos categorizes photos like “Cats” “Dogs” and the photos from the necropsy were placed under “Dinner” :sick Yuck. Well that ruined my appetite.

Blue laced red wyandotte cockerel. He's going to be a beauty.

Storm's papa was a BLRW. All his chicks were blue (he was actually splash laced). Her brother (also olive egger mama) turned out red, white, and blue barred. He now runs the flock I got her egg from. Figuring out where the colors came from was my first exploration into chicken genetics.
Is there any chance he could be a pullet? What gives him away as a cockerel? When should he start growing?
Thank you for the info. I love cockerels.

Recently i did a necropsy on a chicken of mine that passed. I ended up practicing stitching her up and had a vet by my side helping my through it (she‘s a good friend of mine)

Well, google photos categorizes photos like “Cats” “Dogs” and the photos from the necropsy were placed under “Dinner” :sick Yuck. Well that ruined my appetite.
My phone put photos of Philomena the Buff Orpington into "cockatoos". But then it had the audacity to add the video of the Wyandotte we lost gasping for breath into a story called "special day". :hit

My phone put photos of Philomena the Buff Orpington into "cockatoos". But then it had the audacity to add the video of the Wyandotte we lost gasping for breath into a story called "special day". :hit
Screenshot_20230717-003715_Gallery.jpg

And this screenshot of a old post of Bob's with Auoura in it is tagged as "vulture".

Ok. We have a more industrial fan and the lowest setting makes quite a breeze.
Yes I have one of those types of fans, I use it in the alleyway of the barn to keep flies from settling, also moves air around when it’s just one of those humid sticky days.

I will have it on today for sure! My Blacksmith is coming out to trim the horses hooves. Trimming is done every 6 to 8 weeks, fee is $50/horse! Horses are expensive.

Tax
Marty, molting
A4263880-2F13-48A2-934C-E68FB1B470A3.jpeg

What is this category stuff? I just put all my photos in one folder, when I download to my laptop the photos are itemized by year and month. I don’t see any thing for dog cat dinner, etc…?

Tech tax
Whos a handsome boy 💕 Mr Penne
912FDB66-A644-4A35-85C9-8EDAD8DA6354.jpeg

@RoyalChick note his lovely iridescence purple, green and blue feathers 😊

Last edited:
Blue laced red wyandotte cockerel. He's going to be a beauty.

Storm's papa was a BLRW. All his chicks were blue (he was actually splash laced). Her brother (also olive egger mama) turned out red, white, and blue barred. He now runs the flock I got her egg from. Figuring out where the colors came from was my first exploration into chicken genetics.
It’s an amazingly striking colour. Wonder what he will look like when grown ❤️

What a great experience for you to learn about your chooks anatomy and learn some skills. You’re extremely fortunate to have a veterinarian friend.

Is there any chance he could be a pullet? What gives him away as a cockerel? When should he start growing?
Thank you for the info. I love cockerels.
14 weeks shouldn't have wattles (and certainly not red), the curve of the saddle feathers is heading into the rooster drape. the comb is a bit smaller than I'd expect, but if he's not very dominate, could be hasn't grown it much yet.

Wyandotte pullets don't usually start laying until 20 weeks, frequently closer to 22 weeks. Wattles shouldn't be appearing until close to that. Combs pink early on all birds, but don't start growing until same time frame.

Crowing depends upon how dominate he is. Cockerels have been known to crow as early as 3 weeks (with popping wattles). Others don't crow until much later. Some don't crow due to presence of a dominate rooster.

And some are really quiet. Storm's papa had the highest pitch quietest crow I've EVER heard. I watched him crow, and it didn’t carry. I have neighbors across the valley with chickens. I know they have them because the crowing carries.

Indigo update:

Saw her again mid afternoon. Tried following her as she eeled through the tall stuff just below the coop. She's GOOD at slipping through. I kept losing her until grass rustled. Gave up again (had to start dinner). Guess where she was later?

20230716_201106.jpg
Girl, make up your mind! Either commit to sitting or stop the buk-buk and grow the belly feathers back!

Back
Top Bottom