GLuten free feed??????

I am so happy to see that I am not the only one concerned about what to feed my chickens so
I stay healthy!
I can't have corn grain or milk........
Is there a corn free feed out there ?
My chicks are on starter feed now, but when they start on layer food, I would prefer a non corn based product ....
I don't know the brand names but I'm pretty sure there are non corn feeds available. I'm sure others here will know. I feel for you. Bad enough with Celiac bc it's so limiting but that leaves rice and corn as the 2 big grains for us-not that either are good for anyone though. And I'm lucky not to be lactose intolerant bc I love cheese. Good luck in your search.

I just talked to a girlfriend who is a dr. And she said she can't eat any eggs at all due to gluten issues so I told her I would put them on the wheat free for her sake. Doesn't matter to me and if she can finally earners I am happy to do it. It's only a few dollars more a month for the feed and I can get it delivered at my health food store
They will just throw a special bag on the delivery truck for me that I prefer pay for. On another another girlfriend who also has chickens here in my city neighborhood lots her 2 hens last night to a devious raccoon that tore open the hardware cloth and pulled the bottom out of the roosting box to get to them. They are smarter then you thinks so just make sure your coops are tight!

"New Country Organic" I beleve sell a wheat free feed soy free...I just wish mine look like the web page pic...Mine has so much "fines" or "powder in it" I dont know if its old or grain bugs infested.... I ferment some of it too for the flock...

Wheat free isn't gluten free. It must be free of wheat, barley, and rye. No point in ordering wheat free for the doctor if it contains these.

I understand since I mostly due gluten free stuff for myself . but that brand I mentioned had various "free grains".. it prob best to mix it yourself like buckwheat, millet ,non gmo corn, rice,milo,. gf oats...
its the "grasses" not grains.. oh also Teff, quinioa, potato are gf , to... LOL
I think I heard and read wheat was messed with years ago,
just a saying

I understand  since I mostly due gluten free stuff for myself  . but that brand I mentioned had various "free grains".. it prob best to mix it yourself  like buckwheat, millet ,non gmo corn, rice,milo,. gf oats...
its the "grasses" not grains.. oh also Teff, quinioa, potato are gf , to... LOL
  I think I heard and read wheat was messed with years ago,
just a saying
Well see, there you go. I was so skeptical about what that UC Davis vet/biologist said to me that the eggs were safe. How is it that your doctor friend knows it's gluten? Is it possible she's just allergic to eggs period? This entire gf thing is hauntingly scary. I just can't imagine a biologist giving a Celiac information that could be harmful. But who knows about some people? I don't eat very many eggs, and I've never had side effects from eating them. But bc we had a new bag of regular store bought layer feed I didn't want it wasted,so I've chosen to use it up first then go back to making my own version of gf feed for the chickens. I just don't know how to be sure mine will give the chickens the right amount of nutrients, so that's a big concern too. I forgot about quinoa & a few other things you mentioned, so I'll add that to my mix. Currently, for 6 birds, I'm mixing 1/2 cup each per feeding of gf white cooked rice, gf oats, millet, flax seed meal, dried yellow split peas, black sunflower seeds in shells, , 1/4 cup of corn meal, 2-3 Tbsps chia seeds, & I soak dried green peas in a plastic container rinsing in between 2 times-for about 3-4 days, then throw in uncooked about 1/4 c of them. The chickens love the mixture and I am comforted in knowing they are all things I can eat, too. When I have some, they have also been getting gf table scraps which the completely consume too. Thanks for mentioning a few other gf grains I can add as my mind goes soft trying to think of more:) I read the same about the wheat.

Last edited:
After I looked at it, they don't have wheat barley or rye in it, but do have wheat middlings. Even straightforward oats will have wheat and barley in it. My kids and I don't react to the eggs, but I don't' want a lot of wheat based things around due to cross contamination. I'm actually going to call New Country Organics and see what their shipping would be. I only have 3 pet chickens. One bag will last months.

After I looked at it, they don't have wheat barley or rye in it, but do have wheat middlings. Even straightforward oats will have wheat and barley in it. My kids and I don't react to the eggs, but I don't' want a lot of wheat based things around due to cross contamination. I'm actually going to call [COLOR=333333]New Country Organics and see what their shipping would be. I only have 3 pet chickens. One bag will last months.[/COLOR]
From my understanding wheat middlings is still wheat.

i would do brown rice if I was yall. cause supp white rice is not so good.... I only buy the brown or wild rices like the black rice too. I get most of it at the several salvage stores around here.... pennies on the dollar...
some of the stuff is not even expired yet.. just tken off the stores plangrams. I used to do shelf resets for major grocery chains and drug stores etc back few years ago...

Back
Top Bottom