Goose aggressive towards one chicken

Nellie Rose

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2023
I decided to try and raise a gaurd goose after several of my birds were taken or killed by hawks.
I got my baby African goose from a hatchery in October. I got very attached to her. She was raised with a group of chicks that she did very well with, and until now has been completely peaceful.

The hope that she would gaurd the birds was successful. Once she was big enough to free range with the rest of the flock she chased off 2 hawks, and they never came back.

Recently she has been biting and chasing off one of my older bantam hens. It's very concerning since Ivy, the goose, is 10 times the bantams size.

The bantam has been broody, and I believe that is around when the behavior started.
The goose also just laid her first egg this week, and I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

So my question: is there anything I can do to stop or discourage this behavior?
If it gets much worse I worry I will need to rehome Ivy. If she were a bully chicken I'd just remove her from the flock for a few days and reintroduce her, but I am unsure what to do with a goose.

I am also about to introduce 5 new baby bantams to the flock and don't want Ivy attacking them as well.

I agree with the above, and adding more bantams could be risky.
I'll separate her and see if she does better later in the summer. She already sleeps in a separate coop with the few birds she was raised with.
I'll keep a close eye out. The bantams are being kept in a dig crate right now for integration so they are safe, I'll take some more time than I usually do and see if that helps.

Just odd to me she is singling out one bird.
She's not even my only bantam, I have others smaller than her.

Well she's not imprinted with your older bantam. Is the bantam getting near her eggs or sitting somewhere else? also where on the pecking order is the bantam?
Bantam is higher on the pecking order.
No, the bantam isn't going near anything. She is broody right now so I'm wondering if it's because she is being a little more aggressive as well. The chickens have nest boxes the goose can't get into.

They've been together since November with no problems, I started introductions when the goose was one month old.

I caught my two Jersey's who are my top hens getting bullied by my geese. My guess was they were a little less fearless than my Buckeyes. So maybe like you say that's part of it since she's broody. I've only had 2 hens go broody and they were easy to break so can't say for sure.

I caught my two Jersey's who are my top hens getting bullied by my geese. My guess was they were a little less fearless than my Buckeyes. So maybe like you say that's part of it since she's broody. I've only had 2 hens go broody and they were easy to break so can't say for sure.
I see.
Well I'll try separating her and see what happens in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom