Got my babies! Questions about bugs!

homechick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Mineola, Tx
My son and I went and picked out 5 chicks (roughly 2 or 3 weeks, the people wern't sure) at the ranch supply store and although i've done countless searches, I can't seem to answer this question I have. My son is dying to feed them bugs because I mentioned that when they get older they will eat all kinds of bugs. That was so exciting to him and he started collecting rollie-polies, flying bugs, worms, etc. I told him that I wasn't sure they could have it yet. I'm not sure how old these chicks are, some have all their wing feathers but they are still short, some have just one, etc etc. They are all different breeds so I'm sure they are at different stages. Anyway, I was just going to keep them in this rubbermade container until I felt they outgrew it based on their behavior. Not looking forward to building a coop but I'll give it my best shot! I LOVE chickens and I want to do this right!

I'm new here and I just want to say that it feels great to know that there are other chicken lovers out there!

My chicks will be 3 weeks on Tuesday. I take them outside now everyday for an hour or so at a time so they get used to the sights, sounds, smells, etc. They have a blast digging up worms, ants, rollie pollie bugs, etc and running all over with them before chowin down! They love them! I've never heard that you CANT let them eat them, so I dont stop 'em! They are smarter than you think, if its too big to eat or doesnt taste good or something, they wont eat it. They WILL carry it all around, make a big fuss over it, and try to eat it before giving up! Let them enjoy a few bugs! (Make sure they have grit to aid digestion though when feeding them anything other than just straight chick starter feed)
big_smile.png

at 2.5 weeks a mayfly/mosqiuto hawk bug flew into the brooder and got eaten faster than you can say likety split. you would have thought I had thrown CRACK in there the way those chicks acted! It's mayfly season here so even though my babes are in the house they get plenty of bug exposure!

Toss in the bugs! Just don't over do it because as with all things you find or they find for themselves, especially worms, they can carry parasites. I've never had a problem though but others on the board advise against worms for that reason.

The chicks will have a blast!

OMG! I dug up a grub about an inch long Saturday, and offered it to my chicks (3 wks). One grabbed it and the chase was on! He ran and ran, til finally Cleo grabbed it from him,and then she ran around til everyone else got tired of chasing her and then she ate it. It was a riot to watch!

I'd say go for it! Even if they don't eat the bugs, it's great fun to play with! When I first got my chicks last year, they were two days old, There was one purple shaving in with the pine shavings and my god you would think it was a great treat. They chased each other around and around with the purple shaving going from one chick to the other. It was so much fun to watch!!!
wink.png

My chicks are about 2.5 weeks old and they are very spoiled. So far we haven't offered any bugs, but we have given them mealworms (a type of insect in the larval stage). The first time we gave them the mealworms, they were so proud of them that they just ran around with it in their beak chirping loudly while others tried to steal it. Now they have learned to swallow the mealworms quickly so no one else takes it away. You should be able to find live mealworms at most pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom