Guineas vs. neighbors...what would you do?

silverfilly

Peepin N' Cheepin
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Kansas
I was not sure where to put this so if it should be somewhere else please move it.

Ever since we moved here I have 3 neighbors that let their dogs run, there is a pack of about 4 weenie dogs, a border collie and a german shepherd that get to run free. For years they have been coming into our yard, digging in the garden, barking at me in my own yard and chasing the horses. And then eating the grain...uuhhgg! So last year was the first of my poultry, we made a good pen but was not good enough, we lost severel over the first months tring to get the pen dog proof. Well other than the occasional chicken that flys out I think we got it pretty well fort knox. Last fall when I placed my order I got 3 guineas, figured they would at least sound an alarm when something came about to give the chickens a chance to hid if need be.

Now 1 of the neighbors actually asked if I would sell the guineas becouse they cant stand them. He wanted to buy them to get rid of them. I just said well they are the alarm for the chickens when the dogs come in the yard, he explained they alarm even if the dogs are not in the yard then smircked and walked off.

Would you get rid of them? My chicken coop is actually outside the city line and they all live inside city limits with these dogs that run around.

Honestly I have really thought of being really mean and get a peacock...lol.

Personally I wouldn't bother one little bit to make life less annoying for THEM, when they could not be bothered to help you out by penning up their stupid dogs. In fact, you are a lot nicer than me because I would have already caught the dogs and taken them to the pound. Sometimes paying 'bail' for their dogs helps get the point across that it's not acceptable to let them roam.

And if that didn't work, I would probably sought a more permanent solution.
hide.gif

I definitely would not get rid of them just to make him happy. Add a few more to the group! or tell him when all the dogs are gone, you will consider it. That is rude he would expect you to give up your guineas. I admit, they can be noisy, but mine are only especially loud when there is something to be noisy about!

I think guineas do best in groups of 12 or more, and trust me that many can POSSIBLY get loud
lau.gif

Do whats best for you and your guineas/birds, let them know that there is laws against roaming dogs. Shoot 1, and I bet the neighbours will think twice about letting thier puppies wonder into your yard again.
yippiechickie.gif

Silverfilly, the neighbors ought to be glad you're not a "typical farmer" ... shoot first, ask questions later (no offense to all the farmers out there) ---- I'd get MORE guineas PLUS a few peacocks just to really raise a ruckus.

Gwen

Get more birds! and a gun! The birds will tell you when the dogs are coming and then you can off them...all except the weiner-dogs...I got a soft spot for them
idunno.gif

Hikerchick:

My Mom has peacocks, guineas, turkeys, chickens, ducks and geese -- they all seem to get along great. I suppose it just depends upon the critters and their personalities -- just like people.

Gwen

Quote:
Thanks. good to know. Someone offered me grandma's old peafowl with the caveat that they had killed all of her guineas.

Sorry -not trying to hijack the thread.

Report your neighbor's dogs to animal control and GET MORE GUINEAS.

Back
Top Bottom