Hatching under 2 broodies who will mama?

Oct 31, 2023
Glen rock Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
So I had 2 of my OEGBs go broody and I am wondering once the silkie eggs hatch what is likely to happen between the two mamas will both claim some babies as their own?Will one take over mama duty? Will they fight for the babies? They are mother and daughter and have been co-brooding the eggs without fighting. Thanks

Your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes two or more hens work together very well to hatch and raise chicks. Several posts on this forum to show that, often with photos. Sometime one broody kills the chicks under the other broody. Sometimes they fight over the eggs or babies. I had two fight over the eggs when they started to hatch and destroyed half the eggs. Somebody had a thread where one broody took the first chicks to hatch off of the nest to care for while the other stayed on the nest to hatch the later chicks.

I have no idea what will actually happen with yours. Good luck!

Your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes two or more hens work together very well to hatch and raise chicks. Several posts on this forum to show that, often with photos. Sometime one broody kills the chicks under the other broody. Sometimes they fight over the eggs or babies. I had two fight over the eggs when they started to hatch and destroyed half the eggs. Somebody had a thread where one broody took the first chicks to hatch off of the nest to care for while the other stayed on the nest to hatch the later chicks.

I have no idea what will actually happen with yours. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply I hope the last scenario will happen instead of the first two:fl

Back
Top Bottom