Hawk attack, does this bird have a chance?

jkulp00

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 12, 2012
We managed to run a hawk off tonight but it got a good piece of one of our 1 year old Cochins. Tons of feathers everywhere and a bald spot on her back side/tail where most of them were yanked out. She has a little scratch back there but nothing major. I thought that was her only injury. She was understandably skittish after it happened and aside from a slight limp seemed to be acting ok - eating, drinking, etc. After they roosted I went and got her to check her out and was shocked to find a very large open wound on the back of her neck/back. It's about a 3" x 3" area where the skin was ripped open and the muscle is exposed. There is very little blood, none on her feathers which was why I didn't notice it until I really checked her out. Do you think this could heal up? I was going to clean any wounds i found and put antiseptic ointment on but I don't even know where to start with this. I don't even see how the skin could be pulled together to stitch it up even if i had those skills. I guess I just have to eyeball it and see how she does. Do you think I should administer any antibiotic to help it heal/ward off infection? I have Tylan 50 on hand. Thanks for any advice. We're pretty sad it happened. Our girls used to have a very happy free range life and then we started losing them like crazy and only letting them out when we are physically in the yard keeping them company. This happened about 15' away from me and my 15 month old daughter.

Thanks for any advice!
Jess

You will need to remove her from the rest of your flock or they will pick at her and the wound, which leads to canabilisation and likely her death. Yes some antibiotics would be a good idea, 14 days should do. You will need to keep the wound clean and dry, cleaning it twice daily with some saline solution/ salt water is a good idea and then packing it with some antiseptic/ antibiotic cream or wound powder is also a good idea. Remove any feathers that are to close to the wound so that they don't get into it. if she can reach at it then it may need to be covered. I doubt that stitching it up would work, even if this was possible .

Ok i can isolate her, but i have a question about packing the wound, this is like a really, really deep hole. but its mostly the space between the skin and the muscle. I can take a picture tomorrow but I can basically see her actual neck. It doesn't seem like the muscle was injured at all. I could honestly probably squirt 2 entire tubes of neosporin in the hole. How do I pack it? With what? How strong of a saline solution should I use? And should I just pour it in there then pat it dry?

Also unless you move her feathers you cant see it at all. Is it possible the other birds won't know its there? Do I need to cut the feathers from around it so that they don't cover it?

Thanks a lot
J

no its not, they will smell it and then its all on. yes cut the feathers as other wise it will get feathers in it and they will get stuck and goopy. I would use Saline at the same consentrate as you would use on a child, Have you got access to a wound spray or charcoal powder?

I have had this happen a few times. I've always used blue kote lotion. I just loaded it up all over the wound and reapply often. As long as it's just the skin it should heal fine. Definitely keep her isolated.

Posting a picture of the wound may help. The wound should be cleaned with betadine or hibiclens, and coated with neosporin, bacitracin, or similar plain antibiotic ointment once or twice a day. These deep wounds will usually fill in and come together in time, and healing from the inside out is best to prevent an abscess. BluKote should not be used on such a deep wound, until it has healed considerably. Flies and flystrike may be a problem, so I would keep her inside until she has healed because maggots can kill. Give her probiotics or a bit of buttermilk and scrambled egg along with her feed to promote healing. If a vet can prescribe an antibiotic, it may be helpful. Tylan is more for respiratory diseases. Procaine penicillin G is good for wounds, and is at most feed stores in the refrigerator. Dosage is 1/4 ml given 1/4 inchdeep into the breast muscle with a 20 gauge needle for 4 days. You will need 4 needles and 4 syringes (3cc or ml.)

Ok she seems to be doing really really well. She is eating and acting like normal and I have been cleaning it out with saline 2x a day and it is looking really good. Not red or swollen, not hot to the touch, no weeping and no odor. If things continue going well, how long do I have to wait to put her back out with the other birds? Just until it scabs over or do I have to wait until the scab is gone and it is completely healed to avoid them pecking at her?

Thanks all, it has all been very helpful!
Jess

I would wait until it is healed completely, or at least is covered with a firm scab. Otherwise the other birds will peck at the wound/scab and re-injure her.

Back
Top Bottom