Hawk-proofing a run that’s in the woods and need recommendations for your favorite netting!!

Cedargrove

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
I can relocate to coop and run design if more appropriate but I’m seeking ideas for hawk-proofing (we just had our first death). The coop is at the edge of our yard but sits in the woods. We have electric poultry fence creating a yard but the problem is we have super tall trees actually in the chicken yard and I’m stuck trying to figure out the best way to hang netting with so many “obstacles”. Any ideas? I’d love netting recommendations-need to order today so I can deal with this asap. Feel so guilty for not already having it done so my girl could still be here 🥺

Last edited:
I can relocate to coop and run design if more appropriate but I’m seeking ideas for hawk-proofing (we just had our first death). The coop is at the edge of our yard but sits in the woods. We have electric poultry fence creating a yard but the problem is we have trees actually in the chicken yard and I’m stuck trying to figure out the best way to hang netting with so many “obstacles”. Any ideas?
It can be done. I've seen a couple with sizable trees in the run using fishing net as the hawk proof cover. These were big runs, half an acre, fenced to seven foot, a largish back garden basically.
Essentially the netting was draped over the trees and left loose, while at the fence top level, posts of the appropriate height were sunk to support the rest of the netting.
I was told the problem was the tree maintanance, which need pruning every year.
I have no idea how much the netting cost but I'll bet it isn't cheap.

We have virtually the same set up that you do with all the trees in the run. We bought the strongest fishing line we could find ( 100-150 lb test)Then we used 2 ladders to tie the line from branch to branch repeating to make a patterned cover. Sometimes we tied it off at each branch and sometimes we just wove it depending onThe branches we were using. It was time consuming, but it truly made a nice cover without messing with the trees much. It’s dark now but If you’re interested, I could take a picture tomorrow. We got our enclosure safe from above until we found out recently our recent losses were due to a bobcat . Now we’re working on a resolution to that. I’d rather deal with the Hawks.

We have virtually the same set up that you do with all the trees in the run. We bought the strongest fishing line we could find ( 100-150 lb test)Then we used 2 ladders to tie the line from branch to branch repeating to make a patterned cover. Sometimes we tied it off at each branch and sometimes we just wove it depending onThe branches we were using. It was time consuming, but it truly made a nice cover without messing with the trees much. It’s dark now but If you’re interested, I could take a picture tomorrow. We got our enclosure safe from above until we found out recently our recent losses were due to a bobcat . Now we’re working on a resolution to that. I’d rather deal with the Hawks.
Yes I’d love pictures if it’s not too
Much trouble!

The line doesn’t show up very well on the camera but it’s quite visible outside and I’ve never had a bird flying into it. It’s hard to see the line attached from the house across to the trees but that covers in the open area.

Attachments

• 689CF06F-7974-46FD-B9D6-DD61DA7D4407.jpeg
    689CF06F-7974-46FD-B9D6-DD61DA7D4407.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • 1A324869-1DFD-41E7-979A-9F344D3515D5.jpeg
    1A324869-1DFD-41E7-979A-9F344D3515D5.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 47
  • FDC0BA61-70FC-4458-959A-FD66D53B362E.jpeg
    FDC0BA61-70FC-4458-959A-FD66D53B362E.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 48
  • BC733F5B-A0EE-45D7-95D5-42D33C904B36.jpeg
    BC733F5B-A0EE-45D7-95D5-42D33C904B36.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 47
The line doesn’t show up very well on the camera but it’s quite visible outside and I’ve never had a bird flying into it. It’s hard to see the line attached from the house across to the trees but that covers in the open area.
Thank you! I’m in such a frenzy today trying to figure out the best way to protect from above 😕

I had three birds killed in four days due to a hawk(s). The worst was they only ate the heads. I know it was hawks because of cameras. After the first death we ran cross crops wiring, but it clearly wasn’t close enough. The hawk flew through a long opening through trees. We then used aviary netting over the wiring. The first winter storm weighed down the netting to the point of snapping a metal pole at the base. This was a relatively minor storm, less than 6 inches. the wires held, but the netting ripped. I’ve been looking for a new solution, so appreciate this thread. I’m going to try the fish line, as I can space it a little further apart than bird netting. I’ll also be able to keep it at the top of the 8 foot fence. I’m a little worried since the top of my fencing is tension wire (we used dee buster fencing because it was easy to install over a very large area).

Back
Top Bottom