HELP!!! Abandoned Baby Mouse!!!!

Chicken Dave

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Tyngsborough, MA
I know that this is a website where you get help with chickens but I didn't know where else to go to get help. Yesterday I found a sick abandoned baby mouse in my shed. Its eyes are still closed, ears are folded back, and it can barely walk. Last night I put it in an old rag to keep warm and it survived the night. Now I need to know what to feed it and how often. Does anyone know? Please help me!

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, it will probably not survive and the kindest thing to do would be to put it out of its misery. Where did you find it? Was there some sort of nest nearby? It's possible the mama mouse was moving it to a different spot and dropped it.

If you're really going to try and save it (and do you really want more mice in the world anyway? I know it's cute and little now, but it will get into your feed and leave disease-ridden poop around later), it will need milk, since it's a mammal. You could try feeding it warmed whole milk (possibly with some cream or butter stirred in for extra fat) through an eyedropper or, if that's not small enough to fit in its mouth, syringe.

I fostered a baby mouse like yours and it lived. The one this is that it can't be returned to the wild, it has to be a pet mouse.

1) Keep it warm, place it in a cardboard box on a heating pad set on LOW

2) Saturate a piece of white bread with puppy formula (not cat) and hold the bread in the palm of your hand next to the baby mouse. The mouse can "nurse" from the bread. You will need to feed it every 1 to 2 hrs around the clock (sorry, its a commitment).

3) Once its eyes are open and its more mobile, you can feed it apple slices. You can also introduce crushed up rodent pellets.

4) DON"T Give it water! Its a baby, it needs milk with nutritive value. It can have water soaked bread when its eyes open and it had teeth.

Good luck!

I raised a baby mouse once, from pinky stage, and she lived happily in a tank for almost 4 years! She outlived two pairs of companion white mice we bought for her!

Use puppy replacer milk that you can buy in most any pet store, get an eye dropper or syringe, an feed her every couple of hours round the clock, I pretty much gave as much as she wanted, and it didn't take her long to figure it all out. Frequent feedings is important!

I bought several cans, and kept them at room temp after I opened them, but tossed them out after a day or so. Wasted a lot, but saved me having to warm up the milk! Maybe you could refrigerate part of the can, and just keep what you are using at room temp.

When they are pink like that, you can actually see into their tummies, and when they are full of milk, their little tummies look white! This is a good sign! When they start squeaking or squirming, they are hungry or cold! When they are quiet and sleeping, you are doing your job well! you only have to feed frequently for a week or two, then they can go overnight, and several hours between.

Best thing to do is get an aquarium, or box, line it with paper towels, put a face cloth in to be the nest. put a heating pad under the box, on one side, and turn it on so it warms the whole side of the box/aquarium. If the baby gets hot, it will generally move away from the heat, if it gets cold, it will move towards it. Put the face cloth in the middle, with the baby in it, and when you next open to feed, check and see if the baby has move towards or away from the warmth, and adjust accordingly.

Once you hit a rhythm, it is really easy to raise a mouse, they are like chicks! when the eyes start to open, offer some soft bread, with the milk, and it wont take long to graduate to granola and pizza!

I enjoyed it immensely! One thing to watch out for tho. Wild mice are not anything like domesticated mice! They have an amazing ability to JUMP! and even when young, when they play, they are so FAST! we couldn't keep Ms Mouse out of her tank, even tho she wanted to be out, and be held, cause she would jump around, and the Cats could not resist! Early on, I got some young white female mice to live with her and keep her company. They were so slow and dumb, it was remarkable!

When she gets older, pm me, and I will give you some ideas on what Ms Mouse liked and didn't, so you can build a habitat your wee friend will enjoy. Unless you intend to release her. I don't recommend that, as she is not going to survive long with out a mouse mommy to teach her.

Don't let others dislike of mice dissuade you, each critter on this planet has a place and a purpose, even if it is just to teach us patience and perseverance!

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom