Help identifying "Blue Mallards"

JumpingDucks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
Hi :) I am hoping someone can tell me what color these are. The guy I got them from said they were "Blue Mallards" but I think it might be more complicated than that. I'd like to breed them and have been playing with the genetics but since I can't get a firm handle on what color they are, I'm "dead in the water".

Maybe they aren't even mallards?? Oh, and the hen lays green eggs.

(note the swedish looking in the window at the newcomers)

I got so excited that I was able to get me pictures to post that I forgot to sale THANK YOU THANK YOU - Any help is appreciated!!
love.gif

I would have thought khakis too because they have so much brown and it looks very slick, reminds me of seals. There's a lot of blue in there too though. I forgot to mention that when you click on the pictures they get bigger. I actually hadn't seen the pictures blown up before and now I see there's a lot more blue in them than I realized and hen has a blue "cloke" on her back. The drake has more blue overall.

I think I found my answer - don't know why this didn't *pop* in any of my earlier searches! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/410195/bantam-duck-page

Drum roll.... They're Blue Fawn Mallards. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of CityChicker's post to see his(?) post. I hope this guy surfaces sometime and I can say hello :) Now if I can sort out the genetics (pause while we listen to the rusty gears in my brain squealing - LOL!)

Hi Robert!

Pretty Calls! There are quite a few people here with Calls, but not too many with the other bantam ducks. I am going to start posting more photos as this year's birds finish maturing. I have Calls in several colors, but the Calls are not really my primary focus at this point. I also have Australian Spotteds (all three colors), Mallards (Grey, Snowy, Blue Fawn, and Pastel), Miniature Overbergs, Miniature Appleyards/Silver Bantams, and a few others. I am currently working on developing a true Miniature Appleyard like they have in Europe and a Miniature Saxony.

I have had a few other bantam ducks over the years like the Black East Indies, which several BYC'ers have and I may add back this year after having sold mine several years ago. I know a few people here also have Silky Bantam ducks, which I am also considering adding this year. I would love to see pictures of everyone's birds!

Here are some of our bantam duck pens to start the pictures off....

25614_p3170710.jpg

25614_p3170712.jpg

25614_p3170717.jpg

I need to take some new pictures of them, but here are some of my Overbergs when I first got them last year...

25614_new_ducks_014.jpg

25614_new_ducks_015.jpg

Here are some of my newer Silver Bantams, right out of the box last year from Holderread's. I hatched a ton of ducklings from these birds this year...

25614_new_ducks_008.jpg

Here is a couple group shots of some of the juvenile birds of various breeds up at the barn one night...

25614_ducks1.jpg

25614_ducks2.jpg

Finally, here is a Blue Fawn Mallard I hatched this year from an old Pastel drake and some unusually dark Mallard hens...

25614_mallard2.jpg

25614_mallard1.jpg

My first thought was a khaki-Rouen mix, too. Never heard of blue fawn mallards, but you never know.

I looked online and I did see the term blue fan being used for certain types of call ducks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom