Help my chicken eat some mimosa plant leaves

Laddu

Songster
May 1, 2021
India
Hello..
My chicken ate some mimosa plant leaves today in the morning and then I send her to sleep after she woke, she's behaving weird. And is not in her normal self.. she keeps sitting or just stand at one place and close her eyes..

Well, a quick search suggests that the seed pods are toxic/poisonous. I would also assume that the leaves carry some sort of toxicity as well, but perhaps milder.

If you have access to activated charcoal tablets, you can crush them up and mix them with wet cat food to encourage her to eat it. Use enough tablets to make sure that mixture is pure black. This can help absorb the toxins.

Good luck!

The part of the mimosa tree that is toxic to animals is the seed pod. It monkeys with their neurotransmitters, causing convulsions and muscle spasms. The toxin knocks out vitamin B6 and that's the method to treat exposure to the toxin. So, get some B-6 or B-complex with B-6 and start giving it to your patient.

More info on mimosa trees and the toxic pods. https://sciencing.com/toxicity-mimosa-tree-5961861.html

The part of the mimosa tree that is toxic to animals is the seed pod. It monkeys with their neurotransmitters, causing convulsions and muscle spasms. The toxin knocks out vitamin B6 and that's the method to treat exposure to the toxin. So, get some B-6 or B-complex with B-6 and start giving it to your patient.

More info on mimosa trees and the toxic pods. https://sciencing.com/toxicity-mimosa-tree-5961861.html
Yeah, I dug two small mimosa trees out of a ditch and transplanted them, one in the open pen. Neither are any taller than 3 feet. So, no seed pods nor fuzzy pink flowers yet.
Besides, chickens generally instinctively know what's good to eat and avoid stuff that isnt good for them to eat.

From the description of the pods as being alkaline, they probably taste terrible. But not all chickens have gourmet taste. The chicken in this thread obviously isn't as discriminating as most.

But being stupid and taking a trial nibble on a strange seed isn't just the folly of an occasional dumb chicken. When my then five-year old came home from kindergarten with a pocket full of strange beans, I was curious and bit into one, didn't swallow, spit the bitter pieces completely out. Within an hour, I was puking out one end and squirting out the other, and nearly died. It was castor beans, and it was a miracle my five-year old was smarter than his mother and declined to eat any.

Back
Top Bottom