Help!!! Something is killing my Guineas!!

Manowar

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 9, 2012
We have went from 13 adult Guineas in the early summer 2012 down to 2 yesterday, and now one as of today... Somethings getting them at night. The survivors had been roosting in the rafters of the horse barn and now that's no longer safe. My first instinct is Raccoons... DNR says coyote, but I don't believe it as Guineas roost up high. I have set a live trap but not caught anything..
Owl? Raccoon? Mink?? or...... Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated?
ReplyQuote Multi

Is there any signs of struggles or uneaten parts, or are they just gone?
My 1st thought would be owl or raccoon. I have been told that owls often attack guineas when they roost, I think they eat the head.

Whatever it is, i must say it is very thorough... it leaves nothing but a pile of feathers... no head, no flesh no bones..

My gut tells me that you are dealing with a GHO, but it could also be a number of mammalian predators that could climb into the rafters.

You mean a Great Horned Owl right?? Not the dreaded Guinea Homicide Organization? I'm new to backyardchickens so I had to think about it for minute
smile.png

Is there any way to stop GHO other than caging the Guinea's and not hurting the owl... Something owls don't like?

You mean a Great Horned Owl right?? Not the dreaded Guinea Homicide Organization? I'm new to backyardchickens so I had to think about it for minute
smile.png
yuckyuck.gif
Now, that's the type of humor that I appreciate. Yes, a Great Horned owl. In my experience they are bold, tenacious, persistent killers that are impossible to dissuade. I once had one enter a pigeon loft through the bobs that I had left unsecured. I released him - the nest night at dusk he was back trying to get into the loft.

Great-horned owl very hard to get to move on but they can be foiled. My great-horned owls are pretty consistent about visiting around time moon is full. Obviously penning guinea fowl can be done but denying bugger access to barn might also be done. I use dogs but that takes time to establish as a reliable method.

Guinea Hoomicide Organization
lol.png

That must be what took my neighbor's guineas last summer out of the woods by my house. Or maybe it was the bobcat - or coyote - or fox - stray dogs - owls - eagle - or ??

Back
Top Bottom