How does duck meat taste?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Ive been wanting to try new meats becouse I want to be chef somtime,and now I want to try duck.Ive heard its very fatty,and greasy.I want to know how to cook it so its not all fat a gross.Myabe bbqing it?Or possibly baking it somway.Ide just like a nice recipe that tastes really good.

It won't be like chicken. It dark meat, and the flavor will vary with breed, age, and diet. It's generally got more fat / oilier, but there's plenty of advice for cooking your first duck and dealing with this.

Our family loves it, but for some people, it's an acquired taste. It stands up well to more strongly flavored sides, and a full bodied red wine! We only eat duck by candlelight.

Wild rice with mushrooms is a good side, and we also like to quarter small potatos add baby carrots and cook them in the pan below the duck, with the duck on a big broiler rack, after some of the fat has been siphoned away. I would strongly recommend getting a sturdy, heavy-duty broiler pan and rack ... trying to use those throw-away foil pans with fatty birds is making a lot of work for yourself.

Here's a ling with detailed cooking information:
http://www.mapleleaffarms.com/48

Do get experienced with duck before you try to tackle a goose. There's much more grease to boil off, and the bird is going to be hot, greasy, slick, heavy, and hard to handle moving it from boiling off fats to the oven ... and I've heard of more than one novice starting an oven fire with their first goose.

Last edited:
I dont like it at all..
sickbyc.gif

oh my gosh it is sooo awesome. My kids love it to (but then they like elk heart and bear salami too) LOL. look up copy cat recipe for VIP duck from PF Changs that's my sons favorite. also duck with orange sauce and duck with blackberry sauce . . . THE BEST! Or duck over wild rice with a sour cherry sauce!

Last edited:
Smoked duck is excellent!
I've also had "Turducken" We orderd it for thanksgiving from New Orlians. I think I can make it now. It's a boned chicken with cajun dry rub stuffed into a boned duck with a pepper dry rub,Stuffed into a boned but whole turkey. The 3 meats cooked together are incredable. Look it up online!
I wanted to add duck liver with a chocolate sauce is also very good on linguine

Last edited:
Quick and easy duck recipe. Cut the breast meat into strips dip them in scrambled egg then coat with seasoned bread crumbs. Pan fry in butter or oil. I like them medium rare.

Back
Top Bottom