how to sell chicken, duck and rabbit meat legally in NH

farmerned

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hi, I live in NH and I want to sell meat locally possibly organically down the road. But I know their are some laws and regulations I just want to do it by the book so I don't have problems down the road. I'm not starting a huge farm just want a better alternative to commercial meat and help out as many as I can with farm fresh Chicken/ eggs Duck meat (muscovy)/ duck eggs(khaki's/welsh's), and rabbit meat and furs. Possibly more as I get going I do have a few months before I'm going to start selling it and I know I can get rid of a good amount just by word of mouth but I want to be state and/or fed compliant so I don't have problems. I'd also like to butcher them all myself if possible not too sure on the laws though.

Not sure on NH laws. There is a "loophole" in every slaughtering law, though: you can sell the live animal to the buyer, and then the buyer can ask you to slaughter and package the animal, and you can give the meat back to the buyer.

Many states follow the federal exemption law which is you don't have to have an on-site inspection of your processing facility (aka your farm) if you process under 1,000 poultry units annually (chickens, ducks, guineas are 1 unit, quail are less than 1 unit, turkeys are more than 1 unit). I have no idea how the law applies to rabbits.

Good luck, I'd keep googling to try to find NH-specific laws. Your local extension agent really should know this stuff as well.

Not sure on NH laws. There is a "loophole" in every slaughtering law, though: you can sell the live animal to the buyer, and then the buyer can ask you to slaughter and package the animal, and you can give the meat back to the buyer.

Many states follow the federal exemption law which is you don't have to have an on-site inspection of your processing facility (aka your farm) if you process under 1,000 poultry units annually (chickens, ducks, guineas are 1 unit, quail are less than 1 unit, turkeys are more than 1 unit). I have no idea how the law applies to rabbits.

Good luck, I'd keep googling to try to find NH-specific laws. Your local extension agent really should know this stuff as well.
I was thinking of selling them live and then butchering them for the buyer just for the rabbit fur and just do the others for free. I just didn't think it would be legal but really once you sell it the owner should be able to let anyone butcher it for them.
So if that's legal here I think I'll just do that they can pay me get a receipt and have them wait around or come back in an hour.

But what is a local extension agent? and what would I search for to get the number? Thanks.

it

Hi, I live in NH and I want to sell meat locally possibly organically down the road. But I know their are some laws and regulations I just want to do it by the book so I don't have problems down the road. I'm not starting a huge farm just want a better alternative to commercial meat and help out as many as I can with farm fresh Chicken/ eggs Duck meat (muscovy)/ duck eggs(khaki's/welsh's), and rabbit meat and furs. Possibly more as I get going I do have a few months before I'm going to start selling it and I know I can get rid of a good amount just by word of mouth but I want to be state and/or fed compliant so I don't have problems. I'd also like to butcher them all myself if possible not too sure on the laws though.
https://extension.unh.edu/blog/2023...rogram allows NH,as schools and nursing homes.

Back
Top Bottom