I’m back, new eggs on the way!!!

Pics

cosmosue

Songster
Oct 1, 2016
SC
Hello!

I took a bit of a break during college football season, and we were not hatching much during fall as we had a trip coming up and stuff for Christmas and had to have everyone outside before then! So I was on hiatus to the Bahamas and Grand Turk! LOL!

Anyway that was Christmas and now I’m back and the hatching bug has got me BAD!!! But I really wanted NEW colors. I have brown, Texas, and California.

So I bought a “mixed bag” of coturnix eggs (dozen and a half or so) and I am waiting on my eggs to get here!

By the time they arrive, incubate, hatch, and grow out, spring will be here and it will be warm enough (where we are) to move them outside with the rest of my quails - I love them and their little faces even if the California’s hate everything including me lol

So I’ll be posting cause I miss the quail forum and the season is ABOUT TO KICK OFF YA’LL!!!

In the meantime I’m hanging in my garage under a heat lamp cause it’s cold in SC right now... and yes I’ve been using a heat lamp from my brooder all winter - I sit under it. Haha! My portable heater broke lol

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

I can’t WAIT to see what hatches from my new eggs lol! Supposed to include possible silver, golden, Tibetan, tux etc!!!

the time they arrive, incubate, hatch, and grow out, spring will be here and it will be warm enough (where we are) to move them outside with the rest of my quails - I love them and their little faces

:thumbsup im on the same page just ordered from James Marie in Dec :ya

meantime I’m hanging in my garage under a heat lamp cause it’s cold in SC right now... and yes I’ve been using a heat lamp from my brooder all winter - I sit under it. Haha! My portable heater broke lol

:duc ive done this w halogen work lights :gig

It was my 3rd time getting eggs off eBay. I got 18.

My first batch didn’t go so well but the vendor replaced and they went better she was very nice. Those were the California’s I have.

This will be third time hatching from eBay and I expect about a 50% - that would be decent for shipped eggs at least for me. I would be really happy to get 10 out of 18 or more.

My hatch rates with my own eggs are about 90-100% sometimes losing 1 due to issues hatching or deformities but I’m pretty good with not losing any as I’ve been raising birds my whole life almost LOL

I even have a 2 year old cardinal I raised from 12 days old that was bitten by a cat! That was a challenge but I did it lol he’s happy as anything these days in the kitchen except he drives me nuts singing at 6am on occasion. LOL

Actually I just checked my hatch rate on the shipped eggs - I use the Hatchabatch app for iPhone lol and I make notes for every hatch. It looks like my hatch rate was higher than I thought for the shipped eggs so expecting 10 out of 18 may be a tad low, I hope maybe more like 12+ will at least grow and maybe I’ll get 10-12 to hatch if that’s the case.

Of course that depends on the exact number of eggs I end up with that are “viable” to attempt. I have hatched cracked eggs and even one with a hole in the side so long as the membrane isn’t popped, and they had no issues, we will see!

Back
Top Bottom