Is this worms? (Poop picture)

Honora

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Cavan, Ireland
Found this weird looking poop this morning. There is reddish stringy stuff in it. Does it look like worms or some kind of intestinal lining or something?

I should mention I just got done treating them for cocci.
Hi! I know this is super old, but did you ever find out what this might have been? I just found something very similar in my pen this morning. Only one long goopy thread, but same color and attached to a normal looking solid poop. My little ones are between 7 and 10 weeks old. Thank you!

Hello, and thank you so much for the follow up! This is my first time posting on this forum. :)

I have attached a few images if you would be so kind as to take a look. My chicks are between 7 and 10 weeks old, and all are acting normal (eating and drinking, snuggling with us, napping on the same schedule as each other, etc.). I have adults outside, so I brought in some little bits of soil here and there and gave them little outings in the yard each day so that they would hopefully gain some good resistance to the local cocci before heading out permanently.

About a week and a half ago I noticed a little of what looked like blood in a few poops (although it could have been intestinal lining I suppose). I decided to be better safe than sorry and began treatment with some Corid (since they didn't get medicated feed initially- only ACV). I did the 2 tsp/gallon dose for five days, and am now giving them 1/2 tsp/gallon for the next 7-14 days (they are on day 5 of that stage of treatment).

What I'm seeing now appears to be intestinal lining, but I'm not sure since I have never seen it from any of my adult girls. The image on the glove is from yesterday, which is hard to see in context since it's removed from the poo. It was the only one I found when cleaning the entire coop. Then today I was cleaning the run, and found lots of normal poop along with two poops that each had some odd stuff in them. I can't for the life of me figure out who is doing it, but I'm determined to catch one fresh!

I would love to know your thoughts, and thank you in advance for you time!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

It is probably intestinal wall shed with dropping inside.

Eggcessive: I just realized I didn't reply to you directly, and I'm still learning how the notifications work. I'm imagining this comes to your inbox? I'll get this figured out! :)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, and thank you so much for the follow up! This is my first time posting on this forum. :)

I have attached a few images if you would be so kind as to take a look. My chicks are between 7 and 10 weeks old, and all are acting normal (eating and drinking, snuggling with us, napping on the same schedule as each other, etc.). I have adults outside, so I brought in some little bits of soil here and there and gave them little outings in the yard each day so that they would hopefully gain some good resistance to the local cocci before heading out permanently.

About a week and a half ago I noticed a little of what looked like blood in a few poops (although it could have been intestinal lining I suppose). I decided to be better safe than sorry and began treatment with some Corid (since they didn't get medicated feed initially- only ACV). I did the 2 tsp/gallon dose for five days, and am now giving them 1/2 tsp/gallon for the next 7-14 days (they are on day 5 of that stage of treatment).

What I'm seeing now appears to be intestinal lining, but I'm not sure since I have never seen it from any of my adult girls. The image on the glove is from yesterday, which is hard to see in context since it's removed from the poo. It was the only one I found when cleaning the entire coop. Then today I was cleaning the run, and found lots of normal poop along with two poops that each had some odd stuff in them. I can't for the life of me figure out who is doing it, but I'm determined to catch one fresh!

I would love to know your thoughts, and thank you in advance for you time!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Hi! I never found out what it was but it didn't seem to affect their health. I did have issues with cocci at that house though so if you keep seeing it you could always try Corid. Good luck!

Hi! I never found out what it was but it didn't seem to affect their health. I did have issues with cocci at that house though so if you keep seeing it you could always try Corid. Good luck!
Hi Honora, thank you! So glad to hear you didn't have any issues related to this with your flock! I am treating my little group for cocci just to be safe (with Corid). After the full 5 day dose I am still seeing this periodically. But nobody is acting unwell, so I'm thinking of trying some watchful waiting at this point. I posted some additional details and if I hear anything different from other forum members, I may try something else. We'll see! Thanks again!

@mmwsinatra I still think you are seeing some intestinal shed still. I would have also given the treatment and then the reduced Corid dosage as you have done. You can have a vet do a follow up fecal float, just to make sure there is no coccidia present.

@mmwsinatra I still think you are seeing some intestinal shed still. I would have also given the treatment and then the reduced Corid dosage as you have done. You can have a vet do a follow up fecal float, just to make sure there is no coccidia present.
Thanks so much! I'll post an update once I know anything more.

Back
Top Bottom