Leaving geese on lake at night

Gabrielpsherry

Chirping
Mar 3, 2019
I plan on getting African geese if they’ll be safe living free on our 55 acre lake 24/7. There is pasture along the shore of much of the lake. Do y’all think the geese will sleep on the water? If so, they will be safe at night.
I won’t get geese if they have to be cooped at night.

First, is there and island or secure "float" in the lake away from the shoreline that they can take shelter in? If they are to be unattended 24/7 without a water barrier to deter predators then they will probably be killed. Even with a water barrier there are predators that will just swim out and take their pick.

I have heard that geese and ducks dont usually use the floating islands.I would not recommend keeping the geese out at night.I would be worried about the snappers in the pond and owls at night.

I have heard that geese and ducks dont usually use the floating islands.I would not recommend keeping the geese out at night.I would be worried about the snappers in the pond and owls at night.
My ducks definitely use the floating island, and have for a year. But I’m wondering if geese will.

Back
Top Bottom