Lethargic and Thin Chicken

Frizzle and Friends

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Southern Maine
Recently we noticed one of our hens had ended up being very lethargic after molting. After picking her up I realized that she felt very thin. We brought her inside of the house in a crate so that she can be in a warmer environment. Her crop is very solid and feels full. The flock was recently treated for worms, and she was one of the birds suspected to have them because some were found in her roosting site. She isn't laying at the moment.

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Pheonix is a D'Uccle Easter Egger mix that is a year old. She feels very thin and I can clearly feel her breast bone.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?
She has been acting very lethargic and has been just standing with fluffed feathers for the past few days. Pheonix mostly sits or stands with her eyes closed. Before we brought her in, she would still move around, but slowly. She will eat and drink when presented with food and water. She

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Past 5 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Pheonix is the only bird showing symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not aware of anything happening to cause this.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She will eat and drink when presented with food and water. By mixing her food with scratch it seemed to encourage her to eat more.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Her poop is green and runny.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We have given her water with electrolytes and the second dose of dewormer. In case of the impacted crop, she was also given coconut oil and a crop massage.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird until you can get to a vet?
We intend to treat her fully ourselves because there are no vets nearby that will take a chicken.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No picture at the moment, but I can take one of her.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The flock is kept on a bedding of pine shavings.

Thank you for your time, I hope that you can give me some guidance on what is effecting her and how to treat it.

Molt can sap the appetite. That causes weight loss. That can cause weakness and a slow crop. That can lead to sour crop. That can lead to starvation, which can lead to death.

It's a safe guess your hen is starving and is weak. It's also possible she has a crop yeast infection from the contents not being pushed on down the digestive tract due to lack of eating. To verify a crop disorder, you must check her crop in the morning before she has a chance to eat or drink. If the crop is full, then you will need to treat the crop disorder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Then you will need to feed her to bulk her back up. I suggest soft boiled egg, yogurt, and tofu with Poultry Nutri-drench. Canned mackerel and wet canned cat food can also put weight back on a starving chicken.

Molt can sap the appetite. That causes weight loss. That can cause weakness and a slow crop. That can lead to sour crop. That can lead to starvation, which can lead to death.

It's a safe guess your hen is starving and is weak. It's also possible she has a crop yeast infection from the contents not being pushed on down the digestive tract due to lack of eating. To verify a crop disorder, you must check her crop in the morning before she has a chance to eat or drink. If the crop is full, then you will need to treat the crop disorder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Then you will need to feed her to bulk her back up. I suggest soft boiled egg, yogurt, and tofu with Poultry Nutri-drench. Canned mackerel and wet canned cat food can also put weight back on a starving chicken.
Thank you for your reply. Tomorrow morning I will check her crop and identify if she has a crop problem. We have the treatment for sour and impacted crop, after a previous chicken had an impacted crop.

Back
Top Bottom