May have to do whats best.

catfish/okie

Songster
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
west of I 35 south of I 40
I came home from work just a while ago. I went out to lock up the chooks. When I counted I knew 1 was missing. I noticed the BO hen was not there. So I walked over the back yard. I found no feathers and no hen. I looked down the back alley and as far as I could see with a mini mag light and no feathers. I have an 8 x 20 run with 8 x 8 covered south side covered. I was leaving them locked up on days I worked. About 2 months ago I started leaving the gate propped open so they could go in and out. I felt like it was best for them to free range and lock them up when I come home. I think of 2 things that may have happened. She could have flew out and then a dog may have got her. Or shes hiding because I think she was maybe going broody and I kept getting the eggs. I now think its best to keep them locked up when I am not home.

Better to be safe than sorry - - - its what I'd do...
(edited to add) hope you find your missing girl!
fl.gif

Last edited:
She was in the neighbors yard this morning. They said a cat was messing with them yesterday evening and ole buffy flewinto their yard. They took their dog and the cat into their house. I think somebady abandon the cat and they have been feeding it. So i caught the hen and locked her up. I have to leave them locked up today because I have to go to work in a little while. Friday I will give them all a wing clipping. I dont know what to do about the cat because they have became attatched to it. I may have to see if someone wants 3 or 4 of my chickens because a 8 x 20 pen is not big enough for 8 chickens I dont think. I can still let them out into the yard when Im off work.

I only let mine out when I'm home too, catfish okie. I would hate to lose any of them and it's just too risky for me to leave them out if I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom