Meloxicam dosage after bumblefoot surgery

Askittleaday

Hatching
Oct 2, 2020
I just brought one of my hens into the vet this morning for bumblefoot surgery and she prescribed Clindamycin for the antibiotic and Meloxicam for pain relief. However, they were out of Meloxicam at the clinic so I had to get her script filled at the regular pharmacy. I received 7.5mg tablets with the instructions to give half a pill once daily. That sounded a little high so I rang the clinic again just to be sure I was supposed to be giving her 3.75mg and they confirmed. I went ahead and gave her the dose real quick since it’d already been a couple hours after her surgery at this point and she needed something. Now that I took the time to read through some research papers it seems that dose is considerably too high, unless I’m just figuring my math that wrong? Could some people here with more med knowledge chime in for confirmation or if I should change future dosing? Many thanks in advance 🙏🏼
B428112C-4E43-495D-855C-D6683DDB15BB.jpeg

I just brought one of my hens into the vet this morning for bumblefoot surgery and she prescribed Clindamycin for the antibiotic and Meloxicam for pain relief. However, they were out of Meloxicam at the clinic so I had to get her script filled at the regular pharmacy. I received 7.5mg tablets with the instructions to give half a pill once daily. That sounded a little high so I rang the clinic again just to be sure I was supposed to be giving her 3.75mg and they confirmed. I went ahead and gave her the dose real quick since it’d already been a couple hours after her surgery at this point and she needed something. Now that I took the time to read through some research papers it seems that dose is considerably too high, unless I’m just figuring my math that wrong? Could some people here with more med knowledge chime in for confirmation or if I should change future dosing? Many thanks in advance 🙏🏼
View attachment 2357370
i was given the same medication, but told to give 1/4 tablet twice daily for 3 days, then once daily. hope this helps? my chicken weighs 4 lbs (scrawny leghorn)

Back
Top Bottom