Meyer Hatchery Olive Egger pics?

That's a beautiful bird!

This is our Meyer's olive egger at one week. She has lightly feathered feet, which are barely discernable, and a big white spot on the top of her head.

View attachment 2149929
She looks like the Olive Eggers I just picked up last week! Got them at Farm Supply, so not sure who they get them from. Do you happen to know the two breeds used to create yours? I was told Marans most likely is one, but don’t know what breed the blue layer parent is.

She looks like the Olive Eggers I just picked up last week! Got them at Farm Supply, so not sure who they get them from. Do you happen to know the two breeds used to create yours? I was told Marans most likely is one, but don’t know what breed the blue layer parent is.

I think hatcheries play their hybrid breeding programs pretty close to the chest, but from what I can tell from the comments on Meyer Hatchery's site from people reviewing their olive eggers, I think this one might be a Marans/Ameraucana mix, but at this point that's based solely on her lightly feathered feet. I think Meyer also does a Cream Legbar/Welsummer mix as well.

I have been impressed with our birds from Meyer, including the little OE. She's our escape artist. Very smart with a fun personality. I'll get an updated picture soon.

Ha! Ours is only a week-and-a-half old, but she is DEFINITELY our brooder escape artist, too! Whenever someone comes to open the lid she immediately hops up on the highest spot she can get to (the top of the waterer) and hops onto the lip of the brooder as soon as the lid is off. And she's a smart bird on top of that.

That's hilarious! So similar to ours. She got her name due to it, Carmen Hendiego. Because she escaped the brooder a time or 2 and we wondered where in the world she was. First to hop up on stuff. Every. Single. Time.

As for breeding combos, sounds right on. The usual suspects. Although with the crest and leg feathers, a cream legbar/marans cross is possible for ours. I expect Meyer has several lines going at any time.

That's hilarious! So similar to ours. She got her name due to it, Carmen Hendiego. Because she escaped the brooder a time or 2 and we wondered where in the world she was. First to hop up on stuff. Every. Single. Time.

As for breeding combos, sounds right on. The usual suspects. Although with the crest and leg feathers, a cream legbar/marans cross is possible for ours. I expect Meyer has several lines going at any time.
Carmen Hendiego! Love it!

That's a beautiful bird!

This is our Meyer's olive egger at one week. She has lightly feathered feet, which are barely discernable, and a big white spot on the top of her head.

View attachment 2149929

Here she is again at 2 weeks and at about 2 and a half weeks. Might that be a little crest forming?

20200525_153220.jpg

IMG_20200528_134908.jpg

She's adorable. Certainly looks like a crest. Looks a lot like ours at that age.

Here's Carmen at 10ish weeks (on the left) with our legbar. You can see she has some copper feathers coming in around the neck. Thinking black copper marans and legbar lines makes some sense.
20200528_172908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom