Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see all the Michiganders here. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an obsession to chickens. I'm also from SE Michigan in the Flint area. Actually, Burton, so the chickens fit right in. Hey Kris Rose and Chickflick, Big Acre gets their chicks in this coming Thursday (3-22). I started with three chicks last year that were a present and it has grown to 8 chickens right now. We get a great variety of eggs in all shades and colors as no two chickens are the same breed. Must fight the temptation to buy more chicks..............dw says I'll need a bed in the coop next.

WE KNOW!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! Also want to check out TSC!(Must resist the urge to buy....must resist the urge to buy...) I have been looking at my dog cage as a brooder, line it with cardboard on the inside, in has a tray to hold shavings (not cedar), need light, food and water dish, vitamins for water etc etc..!!!!
ChickFlick is more interested in bantams but she is a sucker for babies!!
Have you read posts by Country Gal???? There is a chicken show/swap in Imlay City. April 21 from 6AM to noon. Never been to one so don't know what to expect.
I did'nt want to spent money on a chicken coop this year...ol well.. the economy needs to be pumped

Hi Keleka! Wow, you're just next door. We'll have to ge together and check out each other's flocks! I got a couple of slikies, yes, but like to get a couple of different varieties. I got the silikie cuz I had one when I lived in Chicago. Found this little chick at the curb of a busy street! Where it came from, I don't know, but took it home and was a house chick. Mom carried it in her apron pocket while she did her chores!! KrisRose and I are planning on going to the auction. Let us know if you need a ride! KrisRose can't stand that I have chickens and she don't. She loves to come by and feed my chickens. I know she's gonna end up with some before this season is over!! But, she has a horse, and I don't. I just go to her house and visit her horse. It' s alot cheaper that way!!
D.gif

Special Agent Husak--Do you know when the auction is going to be at Belle's. I know they had a flier in there over the weekend, but it was for an auction in Vicksburg. I am thinking about going. Have you been to see the chicks yet? They are very cute. I really want to get some more hens. I just don't have anyplace for chicks right now.

Ah well. I can still go hold them for a minute or two.

I was told the auction was May 12th starting at 9am sharp. I didn't see the flyer for the one in Vicksburg. When is it? I would like to go to that one.

I did see the chicks, and wound up bring 2 little Naked Necks home. Cute as buttons they are.

Let me know on the Vicksburg one, that might be worth the drive down...
smile.png

Kathy

Hey Hotwings, You around? Did you pick up a flier at Belle's the other day?

I may run up to Belles today to get some dog food. If I do, I will pick up a flier and let you know. I want some more hens so bad, but my rooster is being terrible right now and I am seriously thinking about getting rid of him. My poor hens backs are all tore up. And he actually came after me the other day. Scared me to death.

I just got back from Belle's and the auction is April 14th at 10828 S' 34th St in Vicksburg. It is going to have: feeder pigs, market lambs, market goats, deacon calves, chickens, rabbits horses, and ducks. Animal related items, new and used sale.

It seems to be some sort of fund raiser for Kalamazoo County 4-H goat project. I may have to check it out.

Last edited:
Hey Michiganders
I just found this site. Ive got a few laying hens 8 silkies a bunch of muscovie and some call ducks, plus a pair of geese and some peafowl. Plus I've also got a bunch of eggs in the incubator. With any luck I will have some polish and cochins too.
I am going to Imlay city too. I have been to the wolf lake swap in Indiania and it does really start at 6 am lol. I live in hillsdale county. We have a weekly auction at the fairgrounds. Which usually is everyones junk but you never know. See ya at the swap.
Ed aka wishbone

Oh how we love the michigan! Lol. I have a place down by Grand Rapids in Saranac Michigan that I don't live at now. but still own it. I am currently living at my second house in northern Michigan. Name of the village is Wolverine its between Gaylord Cheboygan and Petoskey. Glad to see other Michiganders!

-Kristen-
big_smile.png

It's a small world. Chickenhawk I was down through Hillsdale County last month. DarkEros07 I have friends that live in Clarksville that we visit occasionally, and I've been to Saranac with them a few times.

I'm bummed. I actually convinced my wife to get a few more chicks this year and went to Big Acre feeling like a little kid on Christmas yesterday. When I got there they were all sold out of chicks. And they had only ordered three breeds in that I already own. I was hoping to get a little more variety to the flock and hopefully some Bantams. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see what else they get. I plan on going to the auction in Imlay City also.

Its good to see more Michiganders coming on board!!! ChickFlick and I are also still planning on making it to Imlay City.
We made it to Big Acre on Tuesday and still had alot of chicks but they were going like hotcakes. We got 17, a mixture of barred rock's, isa brown's, ee's, and a few from the straight run for funzies (wing tips are growing out white feathers).
Also going in on an order with a lady from work and getting Buff orp's and partridge rock's.
Watching the peeps in their brooder is like watching a tank full of fish!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom