My duck is terrified of me, what do i do?

Ducklings around that age go through a "scared of things taller than I" stage that can last for weeks. It is good advice to take some time, sit with the duckling, bring something quiet to do if you get easily bored, and bring treats. Loads of treats. My ducks like thawed frozen peas and lettuce.

Talk quietly, sing, and be patient. Of my eleven ducks, three or four are huggers, no one likes being picked up but most tolerate it pretty well, all are friendly.
Here's an interesting question? Well, I've been raising Muscovy ducks for about two years now, but I'm still new at it. Although I know alot about them, I am having an issue. I incubate my eggs, and choose to raise the babies in the house, until they get feathers, or are ready to go outside. I imprinted on a particular four ducklings, we had a blast. They jumped up and down, for me to hold them. I loved it. But as time grew on, they began to become more skiddish of me, and in a two day period I'm suddenly a monster to them. It's like they saw jack the ripper or something. I'm not by any means abusive to my ducks. I'm not quick moving, I'm very come, around them. They all have toys, I've even taught some how to play ball with their beaks. ( I got that on video) I know what I'm doing, to a point, with ducks, but I just can't figure out why my 7 month old ducks are terrified of me, so much so that when I go to hold them, one of them freezes. I'm all ears, cause I can't figure this one out. See there not ducklings anymore, their feathers are almost full grown. It's almost time to clip their wings. I have the same schedule everyday, haven't got a hair cut, or died my hair, nothing has changed. I just can't figure it out. I always talk and interact with my ducks, and play with them. I have ducks that love me. I'm a duck person, just not for these oñes, I guess. Is there something I can do, is there a magic answer.

I just bought about a 4 week old female rouen duck and i built a 16x6 pen with a 4x3 house about 2 feet off the ground and a little kiddie pool and i plan to buy another one soon. Each time I go to get her to hold her she runs all over the place and hollars and when i finally get her she just squirms around and hollars even louder but after a while she calms down but when someone goes to pet her she squirms around more and then calms down again after a while......then i let her go again in the cage......i heard someone say if i hold her everyday for a while she will get used to people......i dont know if that is completely true or not but I need some more advice, i'm new to owning ducks........it might be that she's lonely and needs more ducks to play with.
And get some meal worms! I swear they are duck crack!!! Best treats ever! When mine know I have them they are all about me lol. If u want a cuddly yard bird, buff goose:)

Here's an interesting question? Well, I've been raising Muscovy ducks for about two years now, but I'm still new at it. Although I know alot about them, I am having an issue. I incubate my eggs, and choose to raise the babies in the house, until they get feathers, or are ready to go outside. I imprinted on a particular four ducklings, we had a blast. They jumped up and down, for me to hold them. I loved it. But as time grew on, they began to become more skiddish of me, and in a two day period I'm suddenly a monster to them. It's like they saw jack the ripper or something. I'm not by any means abusive to my ducks. I'm not quick moving, I'm very come, around them. They all have toys, I've even taught some how to play ball with their beaks. ( I got that on video) I know what I'm doing, to a point, with ducks, but I just can't figure out why my 7 month old ducks are terrified of me, so much so that when I go to hold them, one of them freezes. I'm all ears, cause I can't figure this one out. See there not ducklings anymore, their feathers are almost full grown. It's almost time to clip their wings. I have the same schedule everyday, haven't got a hair cut, or died my hair, nothing has changed. I just can't figure it out. I always talk and interact with my ducks, and play with them. I have ducks that love me. I'm a duck person, just not for these oñes, I guess. Is there something I can do, is there a magic answer.

If the table from Metzer farms is indicative, your; Call, Muscovy, & Saxony duck breeds are calm enough to take an interest in people interaction. (and some individual personalities of other breeds) https://www.metzerfarms.com/compare-duck-breeds.html
I spent enough time with my 3 Muscovy ducklings for 'em to imprint. They were pretty playful 'n social, enjoyed scratches between their upper wing area as well as petting. One liked to fly almost into my face and another would play 'splashy' with me at the edge of the pond. Once they became too big to be held comfortably, juvenile, they abhorred being held. Then, at egg laying time, their voices changed, they became independent plus defensive. At times, you'd think I was the duck axe murderer.
Egg laying is about done, more no egg days than egg laid. They are calming down. 2 of the 3 have resumed their chuckling laughing twill instead of the sharp 'cheep!' when approached. Yet right now, it doesn't seem they'll get back to their near doglike interactions with me they had when young. It's OK as they enjoy me coming out to the pond and spending 5 min with 'em, but they don't desire a lot of attention. They're a pleasant addition to the pond/garden eating lots of bugs, are calming to view swimming about, and are pets, yet not in the same sense our cats.

I hear buff and pilgrim geese are pretty tame yard birds as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom