Neurodivergent chicken keepers

Hullo. I'm new here.
Dealing with ADHD, PTSD & anxiety, along with restless leg syndrome, although that's more nerve damage than psychological. My son is on the spectrum, and my psychiatrist says I'm likely on it as well, but not interested in being tested. My son says I have a 'touch of the 'tism'. 😏
I'll be going to three different animal swaps over the next two weeks, hoping to find the right chicks to start my latest obsession. Looking for two EE, two Midnight Copper Marans, and two unknown, but I've got a list of about 15 different breeds (mostly hybrids) to choose from.
No current fidget toys, but I've got my support dog who's usually in my lap to keep my hands occupied. If he's not available, I do a lot of finger tapping. Meds help with the ADHD , but haven't stopped the stimmimg.

20240503_160947.jpg

Hullo. I'm new here.
Dealing with ADHD, PTSD & anxiety, along with restless leg syndrome, although that's more nerve damage than psychological. My son is on the spectrum, and my psychiatrist says I'm likely on it as well, but not interested in being tested. My son says I have a 'touch of the 'tism'. 😏
I'll be going to three different animal swaps over the next two weeks, hoping to find the right chicks to start my latest obsession. Looking for two EE, two Midnight Copper Marans, and two unknown, but I've got a list of about 15 different breeds (mostly hybrids) to choose from.
No current fidget toys, but I've got my support dog who's usually in my lap to keep my hands occupied. If he's not available, I do a lot of finger tapping. Meds help with the ADHD , but haven't stopped the stimmimg.
Welcome to the thread! Aww service dogs are so cute.

I GOT MY CHICKS YESTERDAY!!! 😁🥳
Our Big (74 lbs, but raised with my SIL's Chihuahua, so he's.. confused as to how big he Really is) dog, Shadow is currently Fascinated with the chicks. 😳
I'm bringing them out for him to sniff while I hold them Closely to me, so he can eventually get desensitized. He's a gentle giant, but he is completely entranced by anything that squeaks, and if it squeaks AND moves..
I'm working on it with him. 🙏🏼🤞🏼🙏🏼

Attachments

• PXL_20240506_234601153.jpg
    PXL_20240506_234601153.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240506_234549958.jpg
    PXL_20240506_234549958.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 6
Shadow (along with two other Pibbles) was adopted by my husband when the people who bought him realized he was going to be considerably larger than they expected. 🙄 He was supposed to be a Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull), but I'm pretty sure there's some Pointer in there, as well. When I first met 'Bob' (my now husband), his three dogs (1 Staffordshire, 1 straight up Pit Bull, and 1 Pit Bull/Bulldog mix) were the biggest, snuggliest, GENTLEST babies I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. My GSD/Husky who passed from old age, and now my Maltese/Yorkie, have both been more aggressive/assertive than his babies. My 13 lb
Morkie pushes his 74 lb Pibble around all the time. They're ridiculous.
Occasionally, the big guy will be DONE with the little guy's attitude, and sound like he's gonna tear the little one into confetti, barking, baring his teeth and snarling viciously. My little guy backs up two steps, then yells right back. The big guy has NEVER been more aggressive than those occasional yelling fits, and he always gives up afterwards and hides behind his Dad or me. 🙄😏

Back
Top Bottom