New to chickens in Canada

lvanderb

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
Hi!
I'm excited to be here, I've wanted to raise chickens for years. So last year we bought a 1 acre agricultural property in Chatham-Kent, Ontario. It came with a chicken coop, a peacock coop and a cow pasture.

In May we're getting 9 pullets. I had my hubby make a chicken tractor as the coops need work.

I will be making sprouts and/or fodder for the chickens using organic grains. I found a place not to far away that buys and sells organic grains and have consented to bag up some grain for me.

Linda

Hello Linda, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Be careful about just feeding your chickens grains. They need a complete balanced diet including adequate levels of protein with as much animal protein in there as you can manage. You want to shoot for 18 to 20% protein and the various amino acids need to be properly balanced. Not to mention the basic mineral and vitamin supplementation that they require.

Hello Linda, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Be careful about just feeding your chickens grains. They need a complete balanced diet including adequate levels of protein with as much animal protein in there as you can manage. You want to shoot for 18 to 20% protein and the various amino acids need to be properly balanced. Not to mention the basic mineral and vitamin supplementation that they require.
Thank you, yes, I'm aware of the need for a balanced diet with sufficient protein, minerals, amino acids etc. I will be including animal protein too. I do have a lot to learn.

Back
Top Bottom