New to raising chickens.

ASchwartz13

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2018
San Diego, California
Hi my name is Amanda. I work as a pediatric nurse but, my first love was animals.

My husband, daughter and I have 5, two and a half month old chickens. We got them when they were a day old. We haven't ever had chickens before so it's all a learning process for us but, a fun one to say the least.

Our flock started at 7 but we recently had to get rid of two as they were cockrels and we live in the city and cannot have roosters. We think 3 of the 5 left are hens but, the other 2 we are unsure. Their names are Onyx, Falkor, Moana, Rocket and Chip.

Our chickens are a mixed flock. We love them all. They are all unique with their own personalities.

We also have a rabbit who's name is Hopper and a dog named Abby.

Greetings and welcome to BYC Amanda, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I hope all the remaining 5 turn out to be hens for you. It will be super thrilling when you get your first eggs! Maybe you'll have to move further out into the country so you can better pursue your love of animals? (we aren't really enablers here... much ;):lau). Please share some pics of your animals as we all love pics here.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Greetings and welcome to BYC Amanda, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I hope all the remaining 5 turn out to be hens for you. It will be super thrilling when you get your first eggs! Maybe you'll have to move further out into the country so you can better pursue your love of animals? (we aren't really enablers here... much ;):lau). Please share some pics of your animals as we all love pics here.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I just added my location to give everyone a better feel for where we are located. :)

Here are some pictures of our babies.

Attachments

• 20180711_162722.jpg
    20180711_162722.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180711_162714.jpg
    20180711_162714.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180711_162641.jpg
    20180711_162641.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180711_162622.jpg