Newbie some stupid questions about ducks

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
If you get pet ducks do you raise them for so long and then release them to a nearby lake? If you raise them do they still know how to fly south for the winter. If you have a lake close by and they go to the lake during the day will they come back at night to roost. Isn't this dangerous leaving the lake coming home. Doesn't this make then vulnerable to predators. I am considering ducks any advice.

Absolutely not! Unless you are part of a rebuilding stock program, you should never release domestic animals into the wild. Not only don't they know how to fly home for Winter, most of them cannot fly any real distance - we've bred many of the Mallard-derived breeds too heavy to fly more than a few feet, for instance. You'd may also be introducing diseases and infestations like lice and mites into the wild population. You'd also be disturbing the very careful ecological balance of the nearby lake.

My ducks live with me on my property. I think you'll find almost all of us do the same. While you can train your ducks to go to and from a nearby lake, you are indeed opening them up to predation. A few may go feral.

Quote:
X2 Don't even get a duck if that is your thought proses. Please.
duc.gif

Okay thanks, that is what I was wondering. It just didn't make sense the other way. The lady at the feed store told me you keep them so long then release them. Don't they like to spend a lot of time in water? How does everyone handle that? If you have a chicken coop can chickens and ducks stay in a coop together or would they need their own coop. Do they come back to the coop at night like chickens do? Do they also free range? Sorry for all the questions.

Generally people dont release ducks at a pond- but will allow them access to swimming in a pond but still get locked up at night where they are safe from predators.
Domestically raised ducks do no survive long if released to a pond- one reason why it is illegal to do so in many places. Between there being not enough food, people feeding bread rather than good quality feed, predators- and sadly even pet dogs and kids have been known to cause the death of many ducks released...or dumped in public ponds.

If you have a pond or lake on your own property and want the ducks to swim there- that is different- but predators are still an issue to consider and they should be locked up at night for safety.

Domestically raised ducks such as mallards will at times still have an instinct to migrate and will try if not contained properly- however without their own flock and the ability to know how to feed themselves they often would not be strong enough to make the journey or get lost. In many places domestically raised migratory birds must be pinioned to prevent them flying for exactly this reason.

Ducks like the pekin, Runner Campbell etc will not have the instinct to migrate and generally do not fly due to their heavier body and shape of a mallard or other migratory ducks.

That is not my thought process I am just completely new to thinking about having ducks. I am just wanting to know the appropriate way to care for them.

Quote:
X2 Don't even get a duck if that is your thought proses. Please.
duc.gif

What about Khaki ducks? I have a large lake behind my property but, that doesn't sound ideal. If you keep your ducks on your property and don't have a pond on it how do you get them the water they crave? Can ducks stay in a coop with chickens??? Thanks so much for the help.

Quote:

It is extremely irresponsible of the lady at the feed store to have told you what she did. Ducks do like to swim- but in the wild many of them are foraging in the water - not just having a swim- so they will spend lots of time in the water. If they were provided with pellets each day things would be different.

Chickens and ducks can live together- but it is better to house them separately if you can - especially when planning a new set before getting ducks- to ensure your chickens have clean water- ducks can be very messy.
They can be trained to return to a coop at night- but they dont roost like chickens do-

I have Muscovies. They are for eggs and meat. There are a number of feral in the warmer climates.
But the reason for getting ducks are for pets, meat, or eggs for the most part. Not to raise and release.

I do raise my ducks with my chickens. There was a bit of contintion at first, but after a few days things calmed right down.
70075_moby8.jpg

Quote:
I have kiddie pools out for my ducks to swim in. they can have a good splash around in one of those-and they are small enough to be cleaned out every day if needed depending on how many ducks you have. I have 2 pools for about 20 ducks- and have to refill them daily.

Khakis are a great laying duck- but too heavy to fly. If the lake is behind your property- how far away ?? It may to too far for the ducks to go to regularly without the risk of predators getting them .

Back
Top Bottom