Newcomer with two rescue chickens

Dollypokpok

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
Like the title said, I'm first time chicken owner that rescued two weak hens from where I had my veterinary internship.

Two years in and so far they have been just the cutest pets with their own personalities.

I'm joining this community so I can provide better care for them and hopefully for my future chickens (once I've settled down)

If anyone is reading this could you help me out with one of my hens? She has a hard time walking and I would appreciate a second opinion, thank you so much guys <3

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...worse-no-wounds-no-lumps-no-swelling.1614680/

Attachments

• 20240216_094217.jpg
    20240216_094217.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
:welcome

Hi, sorry to hear your girl is having issues. I agree with the poster on your ER thread about the food she was getting. Also I'm curious, what was the cause of the "weakness" they were experiencing when you first took them in?
Thank you.

Story was I met them in a commercial poultry farm. Pokpok was completely lame and I let her drink last sips of drink before taking her out back (last meal in death row kinda thing). Usually they aren't interested in drinking (or was too weak), but this one drank with all her might. So I adopted her, and amidst my research they said it is better to keep chickens in a flock, so I took in another one.

That's how Dolly (the one with issues now) came in the picture. She was healthy, just weak and malnourished cause she doesn't eat as fast as other hens. After a few good meals and proper care they were back on their feet.

Last year Dolly was lame as well as she started to lay eggs. She was so weak that she could only drink liquid through syringe. I thought maybe all the calcium was going to her eggs, so I gave her coconut water with the same calcium and immune supplement as in the ER post and slowly nursed her back to health. No more issues until recent move to neighbor's.

Back
Top Bottom