PLEASE HELP Unabsorbed Yolk Sack?

Kpenney

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
Not sure why I do this to myself! My second try hatching. I’m using a less than great incubator from a friend (never again). I had an early hatcher and went to candle my eggs before lockdown, and low and behold a Pip. Now my humidity is a wreck and had to assist this one as the membrane was hard and yellow. It had a tiny bit of yolk sack left. Do I leave it to dry out? Tie it? Will it do it’s own thing?

I added a bit of coconut oil to another Pip and left it in the incubator to try and hatch itself. It only just pipped so I don’t want to intervene yet.

Attachments

• E30461EB-1BB8-403F-90AA-0C1711D4C280.jpeg
    E30461EB-1BB8-403F-90AA-0C1711D4C280.jpeg
    556.4 KB · Views: 47
Was able to push it back in, keeping it moist with coconut oil. The second one hatched as well, with an even worse prolapse. Humidity is at 60%. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• D42D30B1-0400-4FC4-934C-F3B880994A89.jpeg
    D42D30B1-0400-4FC4-934C-F3B880994A89.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AF3249E9-2E0E-49E3-8612-35DC9B1C6396.jpeg
    AF3249E9-2E0E-49E3-8612-35DC9B1C6396.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 15
I will link a thread where post #4 by @Wyorp Rock provides info that will tell you exactly what to do re the unabsorbed yolks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-be-prolapse-vent-help.1500670/#post-25087846

I only hatch using broody hens and have never owned an articificial incubator, so can't help with the humidity issue. But many here do, and so hopefully someone will soon answer your question re why chicks are hatching with unabsorbed yolks. Meanwhile, I will link an article that is a must-read for anyone who hatches chicks. Scroll down to the Section in bold print that instructs what to do when a chick hatches with an unabsorbed yolk.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Was able to push it back in, keeping it moist with coconut oil. The second one hatched as well, with an even worse prolapse. Humidity is at 60%. What am I doing wrong?
That is not unabsorbed yolk or a prolapsed vent it is the umbilical abdomen area. Just like a belly button, it will dry up, but you can put a little dab of Neosporin without pain reliever on it and let it dry up. They are a little raw looking, but the hatchlings should be ok it should dry up quickly.

That is not unabsorbed yolk or a prolapsed vent it is the umbilical abdomen area. Just like a belly button, it will dry up, but you can put a little dab of Neosporin without pain reliever on it and let it dry up. They are a little raw looking, but the hatchlings should be ok it should dry up quickly.
Oh dear, did I do the wrong thing? I was told by a seasoned chick hatcher to keep it moist and tuck it inside gently with a cuetip. Knowing my luck, I listened to the wrong advice.

Oh dear, did I do the wrong thing? I was told by a seasoned chick hatcher to keep it moist and tuck it inside gently with a cuetip. Knowing my luck, I listened to the wrong advice.
No, you did fine It will heal itself. But is good to keep moist and keep from infection until it draws in a little and dries up. Thats why I use Neosporin as it does both keeps moist and is an antibiotic. Things should be starting to look better already and hopefully good to go by morning. How are they all doing?

No, you did fine It will heal itself. But is good to keep moist and keep from infection until it draws in a little and dries up. Thats why I use Neosporin as it does both keeps moist and is an antibiotic. Things should be starting to look better already and hopefully good to go by morning. How are they all doing?

Attachments

• 3F681E93-816E-495C-A27D-9FFD8AF330C1.png
    3F681E93-816E-495C-A27D-9FFD8AF330C1.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
They seem to be doing good! Spunky, vocal and are getting around. Not walking perfectly or eating/drinking yet. I did try to give them a little drink of sugar water, but harder said than done. Bums seem to be closing up nicely.

I can see another external Pip on another egg, but it’s on the bottom. I don’t think that’s right, but trying not to intervene!

Back
Top Bottom