Please tell me they aren't roosters!

2chicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 29, 2007
I can't have roosters and I have no clue what to do if they are...so I am SOOOO hoping they are not! I believe they were born the first or 2nd week in May. I have no clue what breed these are...they are a Kgarten hatching project, a small family farm donated the eggs.

Bella
P1010001-3.jpg

Bella running away
P1010005-2.jpg

Lucky
P1010025-1.jpg

More Lucky
P1010024-1.jpg

Lucky and Bella wanting in the house, Lucky is on right
P1010014.jpg

Hmmm, they look like Barred Rocks. As to whether they are hens or roosters, they look like pullets/hens to me. However, I'm not entirely sure about that.

I agree that they are probably barred rocks. I would be more concerned about Belle than Lucky. BR roosters have more white than black and the hens (generally) have more black than white. Look at the color diff in the picture where they are coming in the door together. My barred rock hen had enough comb and wattles at that age that I was posting pictures also. Best of luck. I always try to remember that hatched eggs will be "straight run" with about 1/2 being rooster, including all of the really friendly ones that your kids have fallen in love with (I think it is part of rooster survival that they try to have sweet personalities so they don't end up in the stew pot and get to pass on their "friendly genes")
hmm.png

since I have been told that its best to look at their feet to sex them, and though I cant see their feet very well, what I can see says Pullet.
So despite their combs and wattles, thats what i'm going with until you post better pics of their legs and feet.

For the record, my track record on trying to see features on pics that are hard to see, is Not very good
lol.png
:eek:
added, just looked at luckys legs again, thats got to be a pullet. I cant see the other ones legs at all..

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if the crowing age is the same for all breeds all the time, but I reckon at 9 weeks you should know for sure if you have a roo(s) very soon. Mine started the beginnings of a pitiful squawking crow at around 4 weeks, which I think is pretty early. I've heard over and over again they usually start their pathetic attempts at crowing around 8-9 weeks
smile.png

My roo is a Golden Campine and his comb is easily two to three times bigger than either of your chicks. On the other hand, my pullets have hardly started developing wattles and they're at 9 weeks. Again, I think breed variations have a lot to do with the differences in development...I have no BRs, so I have no idea. So, my advice would just be to wait a bit because if you have a roo, the most obvious sign of crowing shouldn't be too far off.

BTW, my comments on the legs are fairly specific to Barred Rocks and Dominiques(wich I have).
I will say that those are awfully red combs but im sticking with pullet on the one.
Look for blackish on their legs and feet,(NOT Solid Yellow)
Solid yellow should indicate a roo, darkish coloring on their legs is supposed to mean it is a pullet, worked for me
big_smile.png

Hmmm...I'd say keep an eye on Bella. Could be borderline. My 6 - 8 week old Barred Rock hen's waddles and comb aren't that big, but it varies from chicken to chicken.

750623359_cd69c9c445.jpg

She's on the left in the pic below:
750620225_5139b423fc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom