Poisoning Opossums with Fly bait and Coke

cls82

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Ok....so I have lost almost both of my silkies to predators within 6 weeks. My first one was attacked by a hawk and had it's head ripped off, and last night, we came home from dinner and a movie to find a opossum inside the coop attacking my girls, one of my Americanas just got some feathers ripped out, but our silkie has 3 deep puncture wounds- 2 on her back, one less severe on her butt. We scared him off, but less then 30 min later he was back. I'm so mad I didn't kill him- I wanted to and my adrenaline was pumping but I wasn't sure how to! I stayed up on watch until 4am, luckily I didn't have to work today. We secured the coop more so today, doing our best to cover any holes with more wood and chicken wire. We also ordered a trap that should arrive in a few days, and also.........here it is....some fly bait poison. I have read on a few forums that you mix this with Coke and it kills animals dead almost instantly, mainly raccoons and opossums because they can not throw it back up. I would prefer to just shoot the opossum but I live in a residential neighborhood and it's illegal to shoot firearms here in the city. My thing is I plan on leaving the poison out at night, while the girls are in the coop and then of course removing it in the am, and hopefully it will only be for a few nights. You don't think that would pose any danger to the girls do you? Also, has anyone used this remedy?

The safest way to kill a Opossum is with a chuck of hot lead out a barrel of a gun. A pellet gun will do the job just as good and without anyone knowing. This way your girls don't get the bait.

I play a radio loud in my barn 24/7/365 and the hens love it, I find they relax and lay more eggs. The minks and coons have stopped attacks on the barn since I play the radio.

I also keep a soft 13 watt florescent bulb so that the chickens can see to get away from the predators, Too bright will have them off the roost, a soft light will also help keep predators out. When they're coming out of darkness, they don't care for light. I learned that by leaving my porch light on that the coons don't come on the porch after my trash, but when I turn the light off, they dig in the trash. So light and noise does help. Over two years with no attacks. (I lost 25 hens in two nights, due to a mink.)

A third defense is dog urine. If you walk a dog around your barn 2 or 3 times a week or daily, the urine scent will help keep the wild predators at bay. Wild animals respect dog territories in most cases.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I've learned on here it's that chicken wire is useless against predators. I suggest replacing it with 1/2" by 1/2" hardware cloth. So sorry for your loss!

Thank you for the suggestions. I ordered this air gun which says it's acceptable for shooting small animals. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J1OZ8G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also left 6 lights on around the house last night and he didn't come back! Still didn't get much sleep..too nervous. So one night down, however many to go. I do not have a dog, so no on the dog urine idea, but I have heard you can use human urine? I do have a bf that can pee in the corners of the yard haha Also I can def not play music where I am at. Way too close to the neighbors. But I will have to get ahold of this wire....I'll have to do some research on where to get it. Thanks guys.

Your best defence is to reinforce your coop so they can't get in. Otherwise it will be a continual battle of either trying to stay up watching for predators or setting traps and dispatching what you catch. IF you catch them before they get into your coop. There will always be something else trying to get a meal. Too much hassle in my opinion.

Quote: It's a danger to anything that comes in contact with it
Get some traps instead
Possums aren't hard to catch

Quote: I imagine you'll find it's illegal to shoot that pellet rifle too.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions. I ordered this air gun which says it's acceptable for shooting small animals. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J1OZ8G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also left 6 lights on around the house last night and he didn't come back! Still didn't get much sleep..too nervous. So one night down, however many to go. I do not have a dog, so no on the dog urine idea, but I have heard you can use human urine? I do have a bf that can pee in the corners of the yard haha Also I can def not play music where I am at. Way too close to the neighbors. But I will have to get ahold of this wire....I'll have to do some research on where to get it. Thanks guys.
Any hardware store, lumberyard, Menards (if you have those where you live), farm supply store....

LOL on the peeing bf
lau.gif

I just bought some hardware cloth on Amazon here
But you can do a general search for the size and length you need.

Best of luck!

I have trapped well over 20 with a havahart,and most times with no bait. I found the animal highway in my yard,lol.

Get a trap and always set it.You will be suprised how many critters you catch.

Nationwide crackdown on the intentional misuse of Golden Marlin Fly Bait and or other brands of fly bait (methomyl carbamate) used to control predators/pests. Use common sense, Contact your extension agent, game warden or your state department of Agriculture.

Back
Top Bottom