Quail Keet with broken leg or dislocated hip?

salbritton

Hatching
Aug 23, 2021
I just picked up 9 Coturnix quail from someone who didn't really know what she was getting. She said one had a hurt leg and was getting picked on. When I got home and checked the injured keet, I found a huge hematoma on amd around her tibia. The tibia feels fine, but something is very wrong higher up. The bad leg has absolutely no resistance to sideways movement. That is to say, it flops out to the side. I'm not even sure she can move or feel the lower part, though the leg does move some when she struggles. She gets around on her belly and as such is missing all of those feathers. She also seems to be eating and drinking and is very perky other than the leg. Should I watch and wait and maybe splint or sling her, or is it better to cull? If she were a chicken, I would splint and/or sling, but I don't know anything about quail including how stressful it is for her to be isolated in my house for however long it would take to heal. Any advise is much appreciated!

That sounds like a slipped tendon or dislocated hip. Pictures would help.

I would think that you should either take her to a vet or cull. The poor thing isn't going to live a good life as it is.

If it is a slipped tendon or dislocated hip, it is unlikely it can be repaired, since it was left untreated for so long. The chicks grow so fast, if you don’t get that tendon back in place right away, the leg grows and the tendon does not and it can not be snapped back. The same happens with a dislocation. I’m guessing this person had them for a while before they got to you, so it is most likely too late, if it can’t stand, you should consider culling it, it probably will not have a good quality of life.

SmartSelect_20210822-201213_Video Player.jpg

I took her out to clean the cage last night and have a little more info. The big blue and green lump is mostly on the inside (closer to the body) of the leg but does wrap around the bone in one place. She can use whatever muscles it takes to move the femur and tibiotarsus, but can't seem to control anything below the hock. (tarsometatarsus?) The leg rotates out either at the knee or hip. That said, she is keeping it under her better than before and she is still eating, drinking, and pooping. She isn't panting or showing any other signs of distress. I am very inexperienced with birds and am really torn about whether to watch and wait or cull now. I do think she likely has multiple injuries that will never fully heal. I have a gimpy black orpington pullet that came to us a few weeks ago too. Her issue seems similar but not as severe and she gets along just fine. I just wonder if there is a chance this could heal enough for the quail to have a normal life. We aren't keeping them for meat or eggs really. My son's snake only needs 1 egg a week. I only got these girls because someone needed them to go to a better home.

Back
Top Bottom