Racoon in Run at night

SandyRiverChick

Free Ranging
15 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Brightwood, OR
My Coop
My Coop
My coop is solid, it's a bomb proof building, nothing is getting inside after lock up. But I can tell that at night, something is messing around inside my run which is a 6ft. chain link dog kennel partially covered. It's clearly used a wood pile I had temporarily leaning against the chain link to get out (so I just removed all of that.) My HOPE is that with no food for it to get, it will eventually go away but I'm here to hear how people detour them. I have barking dogs that go out at night if they smell anything through the window and I have a live trap, but I also have 3 feral cats that will wind up in the trap..... Also have a boyfriend with a shotgun but he actually sleeps at night. :confused:

Wow, that's scary! Here's what I would do.

1. Be SURE-SURE-SURE your coop is secure.
2. Put 1/2" hardware cloth over the chain link of the run.
3. If you don't have a roof over the entire run, do that first.
4. I've heard peanuts/peanut butter is a good bait in a trap for raccoons. If you trap any, do you plan to shoot them? You mentioned the BF with a shotgun. Relocating them might not be legal. Not sure how to keep the cats out of the traps...

I trapped 2 raccoons about a month or so ago with peanut butter. There are a couple feral cats in the area, and they stayed out of the traps. Maybe I was just lucky?

If you trap any, do you plan to shoot them?
I'm not going to resort to trapping unless this doesn't stop. I'm more looking for ways to convince them/it to not even get in there.... Lights? Noises? Smells? At this juncture I'm just dealing with nigh time riff raff. I used to feed one of the Ferals just outside my run and I think the cat food drew in the Racoon, not leaving that out anymore.

I'm not going to resort to trapping unless this doesn't stop. I'm more looking for ways to convince them/it to not even get in there.... Lights? Noises? Smells? At this juncture I'm just dealing with nigh time riff raff. I used to feed one of the Ferals just outside my run and I think the cat food drew in the Racoon, not leaving that out anymore.
Lights and noise have never worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom