Roost- Round or Square?

Chickenfeet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Cleveland, Ga.
We have all heavy breed chickens( Leg horns, Buff O, BR, ECT... ) When we built our coop, we were told that the roost should be round. If it wasn't, it would do some type of damage to their feet. My chickens seem to have a hard time walking across it. Can I use a fairly narrow square board instead of the round our 1 1/2 " dowel.
hu.gif

A 2x4 with the wide side up works well for a roost. It's wide enough that chickens lay on their feet and keep them warm in the winter.

I'll 3rd what redoak and ella say about flat roosts being better for the chickens.

We just use 2" x 4" with the 4" side up as the roost...works like a charm!

Dawn

I used big thick round posts that I got when cutting down some shrubbery and brush here at the house around the yard. I would guess that mine are atlease 3 inches thick.
If you ever notice that when a chicken is trying to gain balance on a roost the toes curle? its a natural responce that the little chicken brain produces to keep rooster while sleeping. I think a round roost works better for them. They naturaly grip things with the toes. Like we do with our hands.

I agree with wide flat roosts, if you ever have a calm bird get comfortable on your arm, the feet will disappear and you'll just feel the keel resting on your arm. Tilt them off balance and yes they will grip in, but I think it's more restful to be able to not worry about falling off.

I didn't like the inability to clean up well on the 2x4's. My husband grabbed some pvc pipe suitable for their size of feet and we suspended that and VOILA! It worked very well. And easy to clean.

Quote:
Hi Rachaelc, and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I just use an old paint scraper to remove the stuck on/fresh poop daily since I check for eggs several times a day and it isn't any problem.

I think alot depends on what your winters are like as far as what is best to use for a roost. I can see warmer winter climates getting away with PVC pipe that is big enough around but here in TN, we never know if it's gonna be in the 70's for a week with snow and freezing rain for the next 2 weeks. Grrrr!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom