Rooster Hanging head down

5150Dave

Chirping
Feb 6, 2022
Oklahoma
My rooster, Mr. Cock, is acting sick. He's usually very proud and loud. He's almost a year old. I'm not sure what's going on with him. His gullet is as tight as can be and his comb is turning black towards the top (I read where that could mean his oxygen level is low). I bought some Nutri-Drench & VetRx from Tractor Supply, as I read in another post that this stuff may help. If anyone has any other advice on how to bring my rooster back up in health and spirits, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and may Yeshua bless you daily.

These questions will help the experts understand more about what's happening, so they can give you better advice.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @casportpony

It could be frostbite, but since you described him as lethargic, his oxygen levels could be low. I tagged some experts, but while we wait, I'll send some of the Emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures questions for you to answer
Thank you very much. We did have the temperatures drop into the single digits and then two days later we are back up to 60°. They have a heated coup but I did notice one night that he stayed outside. Why? I do not know.

20220207_183003.jpg

20220207_182828.jpg
20220207_183003.jpg
20220207_183017.jpg

Pictures would be helpful. Can he raise his head or is it stuck down? Make sure that he is drinking fluids, and electrolytes could help. Is he moving his neck around like he is adjusting his crop? What are you feeding, and does he have poultry grit? Are there other roosters?
He's the only rooster. And yes, he will shake his head like he's trying to adjust his crop. Although he doesn't do it much now.

He needs some TLC. He has severe frostbite on comb and wattles. He's is in significant pain. Give him a chewable aspirin whole right in his beak twice a day for pain. Do not touch the frost bitten tissue or more harm will be done.

He's also likely suffering from hypothermia. He needs warm sugar water to drink for the next 24 to 48 hours. One teaspoon sugar in a cup of warm water. If you have a dryer, warm a towel and wrap him in it. Sit and hold him while he warms. Run the towel through the dryer one more time and wrap him again. Total warming 30-45 minutes.

Is there another rooster that could have chased him out of the coop into the cold night? That cannot be permitted to happen again.

Back
Top Bottom