Safeguard Goat Dewormer in water?

austinclarksf

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Hey folks,

It's been awhile since I've been on here. Glad to be back, but not under these circumstances of course.

I lost a 12-month old barred rock yesterday to what I suspect was roundworms. I noticed her being listless on Monday, and isolated her and began administering safeguard goat dewormer .5cc undiluted orally when I noticed what appeared to be a roundworm in her droppings. I came home from work yesterday and she was dead, didn't get a chance to give her the fourth dose, out of an intended 5 days.

I would like to deworm my flock now, to prevent the inevitable spread.

What is the ratio for two full sized hens and two bantam hens in 1 gallon of water?

Research seems to be pointing to 3cc/gallon. Is that right? Any experience with this ratio for bantams?

Hey folks,

It's been awhile since I've been on here. Glad to be back, but not under these circumstances of course.

I lost a 12-month old barred rock yesterday to what I suspect was roundworms. I noticed her being listless on Monday, and isolated her and began administering safeguard goat dewormer .5cc undiluted orally when I noticed what appeared to be a roundworm in her droppings. I came home from work yesterday and she was dead, didn't get a chance to give her the fourth dose, out of an intended 5 days.

I would like to deworm my flock now, to prevent the inevitable spread. 

What is the ratio for two full sized hens and two bantam hens in 1 gallon of water?

Research seems to be pointing to 3cc/gallon. Is that right? Any experience with this ratio for bantams?

3cc to a gallon won't treat much of anything. Best to give orally at 0.23ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

I can do that, I wonder how much my bantams weigh...

I was hoping someone knew the dosage for adding to their water, because my girls aren't used to being handled, and bantams are sure hard to catch. I'll start the dosing tonight if I don't notice another post here.

Thanks for the consistent feedback folks, always a pleasure.

My micros weigh about 1/2 pound, OEGB hens about a pound and banty Cochins are about 2 pounds. What breeds do you have?

-Kathy

One white cochin bantam, one buff cochin bantam, unsure of their age. They are blushing now and making 'big girl' noises, I'd imagine they are around 6-7 months but I've never raised bantams before. When I bought them, the seller told me they were full-size breeds & that they were chicks, but that myth was quickly dispelled when they didn't grow bigger! The two full size girls that remain are 10-11 month old Americanas. I'm still getting about an egg per day from the Americanas, the bantams are not laying yet.

Not seeing worms in anyone's droppings today, but it's probably safe to just de-worm them. I am feeding them black oil sunflower seeds with their feed, they graze under a black walnut tree in my yard, and have ACV in the water all the time, which I have read will help ward worms off. As much as I hate to use the 'chemicals', I always do when lives are in danger. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom